Location:
State:
Carrier
Country
Status

BSOD - SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED on boot, even safe mode.


Hi, I'm getting a BSOD with SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED every time I try to boot. I even get this BSOD when trying to get into safe mode. There's no sys file specified. OS is Windows 10 Pro x64 (10.0.10586)



I can get to it the command prompt from the Win 10 troubleshooter -> Advanced Options menu. I tried running the dm_log_collector.exe from here, and it says "The sub system needed to support the image type is not present.". Is there another way I can gather the logs?

This all happened after a pop-up message offering me to upgrade to Kaspersky Internet Security 2016, from KIS 2015. That installed and said Windows needed to restart, which I did.

Hi anders,

Do you have a restore point prior to updating Kaspersky?

Hi anders,

Do you have a restore point prior to updating Kaspersky?
Hi, no sadly when I went to that option, there were no restore points at all. The automatic repair also does not help.

Ok, lets try a few things based on the usual causes for this error.
Please start with testing your memory, with your amount of memory it'll likely take a day to reach the requirements.




Diagnostic Test
 RAM TEST

Run MemTest86+ to analyse your RAM. MemTest86+ - Test RAM - Windows 10 blog

   Note


MemTest86+ needs to be run for at least 8 passesfor conclusive results. Set it running before you go to bed and leave it overnight. We're looking for zeroerrors here. Even a single error will indicate RAM failure.

Thanks. I've just started Memtest86+ having just finished a complete virus check with Kaspersky Rescue Disc.

Memtest is still running and on pass 6 after 24 hours. Suspect pass 8 will complete when I'm asleep. I'm away with work until Wednesday evening, so will report back then. Perhaps you could let me know the next step/test please? Assuming all 8 passes complete okay, so I can hit the floor running when I'm back. Thanks.

A next step would be to strip down the hardware to try to get your system booting again to remove Kaspersky.
Thus, remove the graphics card, every ram stick until 1 is left and remove anything else like peripherals that isn't required for boot.

Ended up being away longer than I expected. 8 passes of Memtest did complete without error.

I've now removed everything I think I can, leaving my boot SSD, 1 stick of RAM, keyboard and mouse. I borrowed an old Nvidia graphic card from a good friend, which I swapping in for my Radeon.

Win 10 still shows the same error, can't get into safe mode.

You don't need a GPU to boot, please remove it and try to boot again in any way.

You don't need a GPU to boot, please remove it and try to boot again in any way.
How will I know if it boots without a monitor? I don't have on board graphics.

BSOD - SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED on boot, even safe mode.