Location:
State:
Carrier
Country
Status

How do you set a protocol association with a standalone exe?


Hello everyone!

Since I'm not happy with how the Google Hangouts app has no way of integrating with the TEL url protocol, I've decided to create an application that will automatically copy, format and paste the phone link into Hangouts automatically. However, when I attempt to change the association though the control panel, it seems like Windows 10 no longer allows you to choose applications that aren't on the default list.



I've attempted to manually modify the "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESOFTWAREClasses el" and "HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT el" keys but this has not affected the association in any way, even after multiple restarts.

Is there any other way to do this? I've attempted to look for ways to add the executable to the programs list but I haven't found a solution.

Any help is appreciated! Thank you!

Hi, have you tried rt clicking on the file of type you want to associate and using Open With? If you keep going down to the bottom of the dialogue presented you can eventually get to 'Look for another app on this PC' which presents a browse dialogue.

I'm also reminded of
OpenWith Enhanced

Hi, have you tried rt clicking on the file of type you want to associate and using Open With? If you keep going down to the bottom of the dialogue presented you can eventually get to 'Look for another app on this PC' which presents a browse dialogue.

I'm also reminded of
OpenWith Enhanced
Thank you for the suggestion! Unfortunately, it isn't a file that I'm trying to configure but a url protocol. I want my application to launch whenever someone clicks a TEL link on a website such as "tel://8009256278".

That program you recommend is still pretty useful, though! I just might install it if I ever need to use it in the future.

I have the same problem

There may be no easy solution for this particular protocol.
This seems to indicate Skype supports it:
Deploy Skype - disable tel: association - Skype Community
while
TEL:// protocol / how to handle the tel:// protocol - awdit - The driver, software, hardware database
suggests MS Office handles it. (I have no idea).

This discusses it, with attempts at a javascript solution:

Have you tried setting it in HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT elshellopencommand as (sort of) described here Register protocol - MozillaZine Knowledge Base

I don't use it but have "C:Program Files (x86)SkypePhoneSkype.exe" "/uri:"%l""as a default REG_SZ value for mine (as I installed Skype I suppose).

Have you tried setting it in HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT elshellopencommand as (sort of) described here Register protocol - MozillaZine Knowledge Base

I don't use it but have "C:Program Files (x86)SkypePhoneSkype.exe" "/uri:"%l""as a default REG_SZ value for mine (as I installed Skype I suppose).
It works if you don't have Skype or Chrome installed. After that moment, you will not be able to change default app for tel protocol through system settings although you have these into registry for your app (this is valid for win 10, for others < win 10, it works nice)

How do you set a protocol association with a standalone exe?