Location:
State:
Carrier
Country
Status

Win10 update created a clone of my user account.


I had Windows 10 configured to auto log on with only a single user account and haven't had a single issue until last night after a restart to apply updates. Now when I boot my PC I am stopped at the login screen stating my password is invalid. The reason it's invalid is I now have two accounts with my name assigned however the one it tries to log into by default is the newly created one (it looks like it simply duplicated my original) and it doesn't allow any access to Windows. I select my original and log in manually just fine.

The problem is there is only one User listed in the User Accounts settings and that account only appears on initial boot as I can log out to the login screen post boot and the account has disappeared. It's driving me nuts as I cannot find how to get rid of it and I'm sure it's something relatively simple with me just overthinking the problem.

Any help would be fantastic.

Unless you are using a Local account. The Live account will not work with an auto login.

Is that a recent change? I've been auto logging in with my Live account since the first week of October without issue.

It is a quirk that has been there since the RTM came out on the 29th of July.

Is that a recent change? I've been auto logging in with my Live account since the first week of October without issue.
So am I.

Any help would be fantastic.
Try Win+R to bring up the run dialog. Run netplwiz

that will bring up an alternate user/account control panel.

Try Win+R to bring up the run dialog. Run netplwiz that will bring up an alternate user/account control panel.
First place I went. There's only one user account in the control panel. Like I said two accounts only appear on the initial login screen. Logging out of Windows afterwards shows only one account.

That is weird, and unfortunately I have no advice about it.

Windows may have held the one as a temp account from the update and then finally was able to merge them after rebooting.

10 has been weird and finicky at the same time.

Some things are like trying to find Morel Mushrooms. You know where they may be. But can never find them.

First place I went. There's only one user account in the control panel. Like I said two accounts only appear on the initial login screen. Logging out of Windows afterwards shows only one account.
Toggle the "Users must enter a password" tick box off and on a couple of times in netplwiz (hitting "Apply" in between). That normally fixes it.

Toggle the "Users must enter a password" tick box off and on a couple of times in netplwiz (hitting "Apply" in between). That normally fixes it.
Thanks. Doing it only once didn't have any affect. Doing it twice, logging in and out after each "apply" fixed it.

Win10 update created a clone of my user account.