Location:
State:
Carrier
Country
Status

14342 pro activation fails


I did a clean install of 14342 pro.

I activated with XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-TXYCV

AFTER about 10 seconds activation fails without a 0x... code.

If I put in a completely bogus code a 0x code occurs immediately.

This procedure with 14342 home activates just fine.

Can someone help me? Thanks.


I forgot to say that this is the 32 bit version.

The troubleshooter says NOT GENUINE.

I did another update check, KB3158988 installed
but did not fix the problem.

You will need to post the full error code... the 0x prefix applies to all errors.

There is no 0x... code.

What I am saying is that the activation code I used must be good.

Bogus activation codes yield 0x... codes immediately.
The code I used fails only after 10 seconds saying only "go to the store and buy a genuine key".

I mentioned the 0x... code thing only as a troubleshooting element.

===

As I see it:

1. The iso file I downloaded might be bad on the server,
however nobody else has reported this problem.

2. The iso might not have been downloaded correctly.

3. There might have been a problem when I converted to USB.

I need to repeat these steps but I would like to use 14352 or later
if possible if I knew it's activation code.

Could someone help please?

Have you had an activated released version of Windows on that computer before? Microsoft is only activating insider previews now based on a previously activated released version of Windows 10 - one that got activated from either an upgrade from Windows 7/8/8.1 or with a purchased Windows 10 product key. It sounds to me like you are downloading an ISO file from a non-Microsoft source and attempting to use an outdated product key to activate it - and please forgive me if I am wrong.

That would not be a factor.

The hard disk was replaced partitioned and formatted before I started.

And the key worked just fine with 14342/32bit home.

I think (possibly) the ISO or USB was defective in some way.

I have located 14352 and it's codes and I will try that this evening.

Thanks.

K. But as far as I know you can no longer activate a clean install of Windows Insider Preview with a product key.

No more Windows 10 keys for Insiders; post-RTM installs must be on previously activated PCs

But... there has to be a 0x... error - running slmgr /dlv should give you one.

The same key cannot activate different editions (Home / Pro...) of Windows.

Care to divulge what product the key you used was assigned?
NOT the key, but where you got the key and for what product.

I would venture to guess that the same mechanism that allows a user to Clean install Win10 with a key for a qualifying previous version (7 / 8) also allows a user to install a preview release as long as the editions match - but that's just a guess.

The article Navy linked was written 10 months ago (August 2015) ... before build 10565.
The basic premise is correct though - no generic Preview build keys

The same key cannot activate different editions (Home / Pro...) of Windows.

Care to divulge what product the key you used was assigned?
NOT the key, but where you got the key and for what product.
I did a clean install of 14342 pro.

I activated with XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-TXYCV

AFTER about 10 seconds activation fails without a 0x... code.

If I put in a completely bogus code a 0x code occurs immediately.

This procedure with 14342 home activates just fine.

Can someone help me? Thanks.

Just an educated guess.... but I would say here:
Download Windows 10 Insider Preview ISO File - Windows 10 blog

Windows 10 Pro Insider Preview build 10158, 10159, 10162, and 10166: 8N67H-M3CY9-QT7C4-2TR7M-TXYCV
His computer probably has a digital entitlement for Home version (which is why it activated) and he is wanting to activate Pro insider version on it for free without having had a previous paid version of Pro (and therefore a digital entitlement) - which Microsoft is no longer doing.

14342 pro activation fails