Location:
State:
Carrier
Country
Status

Fallout4 and Deadspace3 will not start


I recently had to do a clean reinstall of Windows 10 to solve update problems. The reinstall went well, except that most of my games will not start; i.e. Fallout4 (Steam) and Deadspace3 (Origin) won't, but Dragonage Inquisition (Steam) will. Those that won't present the message: Performing first time setup... Installing DirectX for Windows... where it fails. At the first attempt to start the game it has installed some things but couldn't install DirectX. The final message reads: C:WindowsSystem32xactengine3_5.dll is either not designed to run on Windows or it comtains an error. Error status 0x000012f. I looked for solutions and found many references to Visual C++ issues but did not find any helpful solutions. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Update. I have found references that point out that the error message "WindowsSystem32 (etc)" refers to a x32 bit operating system whereas mine is a x64. It also pointed out that updating the DirectX should be done a in the WindowsSyswow64 directory. So I looked in each dircectory and saw that (1) the System32 directory only has file a xactengine3.4.dll file and (2) that only Syswow64 had the correct file name in its directory... but I have no idea how to interpret this info or what to do about it if anything. Any help would be great. thanks

Hi.
Please go ahead and run the sfc /scannow and let us know the results.

Perhaps @blackroseMD1, @lx07 or @dalchina will have an opportunity to drop in here and give you some assistance.

(I apologise, but am not a gamer...)

I ran sfc /scannow. It just finished reporting that it found no integrity violations. I was wondering, since scannow is running from the windowssystem32 directory, is it checking the files in the windowssyswow64 directory? Which is where the xactengine3_5.dll file is located.
I also wanted to add that all the games that won't run now were running ok before I performed the Windows Clean Install. Also, the only game I have found that will run is Dragonage Inquisition (on Origin). No games from Steam will run and no other game from Origin will run; all give the same error message.

I ran sfc /scannow. It just finished reporting that it found no integrity violations. I was wondering, since scannow is running from the windowssystem32 directory, is it checking the files in the windowssyswow64 directory? Which is where the xactengine3_5.dll file is located.
I also wanted to add that all the games that won't run now were running ok before I performed the Windows Clean Install. Also, the only game I have found that will run is Dragonage Inquisition (on Origin). No games from Steam will run and no other game from Origin will run; all give the same error message.
SFC /scannow is a System File Check - it verifies the integrity of all Operating System files.


System File Checker is a utility in Windows that allows users to scan for corruptions in Windows system files and restore corrupted files. This article describes how to run the System File Checker tool (SFC.exe) to scan your system files and to repair missing or corrupted system files. If a Windows Resource Protection (WRP) file is missing or is corrupted, Windows may not behave as expected. For example, some Windows functions may not work, or Windows may crash.
Please type winver in the search bar and run the task; post a screenshot; black out your name at the bottom.
Thanks.

I ran winver:

Okay so you're still on the November update - that's fine.
Type dxdiag in the search box and run the DirectX Diagnostic Tool.
"NEXT" through each tab, and at the bottom box on each one, it should say no problems found.
If you come to a page which shows a problem, please give us a screenshot.

You have the most current video drivers installed, right?

I'd like you to run our DMCollector Tool, and post the results here. Let's see if @axe0 has some time to have a look at them for you.
Here are the instructions.
BSOD - Posting Instructions - Windows 10 blog

@axe0: This rig is a clean install of v1511, after troubleshooting with tybee in this thread:
Solved Windows 10 fails to update - Page 12 - Windows 10 blog

I hope you can shed some light on his problem. Thanks for your help.

Subscribed, I have some time left before my summer vacation ends

Subscribed, I have some time left before my summer vacation ends
Cheers @axe0. Could use your expertise on this one. Thanks.

Fallout4 and Deadspace3 will not start