Location:
State:
Carrier
Country
Status

Trying to Raid Two 950pro's in a PCIE Adapter on GA-H97-Gaming 3


Can anyone tell me how to setup the bios in the ga-h97-gaming 3 to Recognise Two 950pro attached to two ADDONICS adm2px4.
I have tried just about all conceivable settings and it still wont recognise the 950pro as usable raid drives.
Would I be right in assuming the raid on this m/b is only for sata type drives and therefore leaving nvme out in the dark.

Can anyone tell me how to setup the bios in the ga-h97-gaming 3 to Recognise Two 950pro attached to two ADDONICS adm2px4.
I have tried just about all conceivable settings and it still wont recognise the 950pro as usable raid drives.
Would I be right in assuming the raid on this m/b is only for sata type drives and therefore leaving nvme out in the dark.
I don't use RAID but most motherboards have several SATA ports on them and maybe one PATA port, usually for Optical drives, but NVMe is something different.
NVM Express(NVMe) or Non-Volatile Memory Host Controller Interface Specification(NVMHCI) is a logical device interface specification for accessing non-volatile storage media attached via PCI Express (PCIe) bus. "NVM" stands as an initialism for "non-volatile memory", which is commonly flash memory that comes in the form of solid-state drives (SSDs). NVM Express, as a logical device interface, has been designed from the ground up to capitalize on the low latency and internal parallelism of flash-based storage devices, mirroring the parallelism of contemporary CPUs, platforms and applications.
I'd wonder if the motherboard BIOS has support for such a setup.

The only way I know of with PCIe devices is using software raid or fakeRaid. It isn't as fast as a hardware raid but is also much cheaper. It does have it's risks though. You first need to have everything off the 2 identical drives you want to Raid. Hit the Windows key +S and search for storage spaces. It should list all the drives connected, just select which 2 and follow the prompts. There may be other ways but I don't know about them for PCIe drives.




I believe this is just a limitation of new technology. This is new tech and no one has developed ways of creating raid outside of the sata bus other than hardware raid, which I don't even know if it can be done with raid cards yet. I have never tried it myself, but that's the only way I am aware of to do it and I'm not totally sure it is a real raid but does allow you to pool drive spaces, at least.

I would think it is either a limitation of the addon cards, or the mobo and bios, or both.

It is possible on 170 series mobo's if you have more than one M2 connection. I have done it on mine for a while. Not sure if I could do it with one M2 along with one addon card though.

Trying to Raid Two 950pro's in a PCIE Adapter on GA-H97-Gaming 3