Location:
State:
Carrier
Country
Status

How I fixed "Overlap: Duplicate ownership for directory" errors


Does anyone know what this is???? I have about 50 of them.

"0000049a Error - Overlap: Duplicate ownership for directory [l:23]"??C:WINDOWScastdvr" in component Microsoft-Media-Capture-Internal-BroadcastDVR, version 10.0.10586.11, arch amd64, nonSxS, pkt {l:8 b:31bf3856ad364e35}

Thank you.

Does anyone know what this is???? I have about 50 of them.

"0000049a Error - Overlap: Duplicate ownership for directory [l:23]"??C:WINDOWScastdvr" in component Microsoft-Media-Capture-Internal-BroadcastDVR, version 10.0.10586.11, arch amd64, nonSxS, pkt {l:8 b:31bf3856ad364e35}

Thank you.
I see many of these "errors" too for various folders, etc. I just ignore them as Windows seems happy

I generally ignore stuff like this, but this has me annoyed

It is the final results that matters - (no corruption found) not the process..

Does anyone know what this is???? I have about 50 of them.

"0000049a Error - Overlap: Duplicate ownership for directory [l:23]"??C:WINDOWScastdvr" in component Microsoft-Media-Capture-Internal-BroadcastDVR, version 10.0.10586.11, arch amd64, nonSxS, pkt {l:8 b:31bf3856ad364e35}

Thank you.
Background: I just got a brand new Dell laptop with Windows 10 Pro. I started the process of updating drivers / Windows 10 / installing my favorite apps. After about 5 hours of this, somewhere in that process (I have no idea how..) I acquired a virus that modified my Windows dnsapi.dll files (in Windows/System32 and SysWOW64 dirs).

I ran sfc /SCANNOW and it identified the DLL problems along with a slew of "Overlap" errors. It also said that it could notfix any of these problems .

I decided to reinstall Windows via the "reset" windows command, but using the "leave my files" option.

To be safe, I ran sfc /SCANNOW after the re-install. The DLL problems were gone, but the Overlap problems were still there. I can't accept that these are OK to have after feeling it was a virus that caused them. I did some research and found a sequence using DISM that got rid of them:

NOTE: DISM did not work for me without having my own local install.wim source (I have a wim 10 image on a USB stick).

I ran cmd prompt as admin:

Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth /wim:E:sourcesinstall.wim:1 /limitaccess

Then I re-ran sfc /SCANNOW. Same Overlap errors, but this time it said it successfully fixed these issues.

I rebooted and re-ran sfc /SCANNOW again. The errors were gone.

SFC Scannow and Dism RestoreHealth - Image Health - Repair Corrupt Files

How I fixed