Location:
State:
Carrier
Country
Status

Upgrading from win 10 home to win 10 education version


I am eligible to purchase a copy of win 10 education version. I currently have win 10 home. I wonder if I have to clean install win 10 education or I can just upgrade from win 10 home. The MS help desk is so ignorant that most of the time they want to help me with my MS Office problems, what? Who said MS office?

My other question is that if I make the upgrade, will I be able to install win 10 home on my machine when I decide to sell it?

Thanks!

I know a few have been able to simply use the Change key option in the Settings>System>Activation section in order to upgrade from the Home to Pro edition with immediate results and without the need to see an upgrade or clean install of the Pro edition take place. IF? and I if this will also work for moving up from the Home edition to Education edition would have to be tested.

Hopefully once you entered the key for that addition which also falls into the Multiple Edition releases seen at colleges and universities you can avoid a full install. Just be prepared in case that will be needed by first seeing everything backed up.

Cannot be done - you need to reinstall.

I was going to say the exact same but need a bit more clarification. I know you are able to slide from Home to Pro as that has already been done while the Education edition isn't the same there much like the Enterprise. A clean install mandate!

Cannot be done - you need to reinstall.
From an elevated ("run as administrator") command prompt type:

dism /online /get-targeteditions

That will tell you which editions of Windows 10 the currently installed version can be upgraded to simply by changing the product key (and the subsequent online downloading of the files needed for the upgrade). I believe that you will find that Windows 10 Home CAN be upgraded to Windows 10 Education with only a product key change.

OK, I bit the bullet and upgraded from home to education. It was done with some download and restart. The process was smooth but with a few warning signs such as the upgrade stuck at 100% and error with product key. Everything cleared up after a restart.
The upgrade somehow also fixed my issue of not able to backup my system (disk image etc.):

Windows backup and recovery stopped working - Windows 10 blog

The update between editions actually became more then a more full featured flavor of 10 but saw a repair install take place. A clean install is generally the better move however when the present install is a bit old and cluttered.

Target editions here would be for the Education and Enterprise editions when checking on the upgrade options already knowing that from running the Pro edition. Home edition VM shows Pro and Education. So you should be all set to go now!

Upgrading from win 10 home to win 10 education version