Location:
State:
Carrier
Country
Status

Do I have AMD drivers or not?


I've recently updated to Wondows 10.
If I right-click the desktop, the 1st entry is "AMD Radeon Settings"
I click that, and I get a popup "No AMD graphics driver is installed, or the AMD driver is not functioning properly"

HWiNFO64 confirms that my display adapter is "AMD Radeon HD 7750/R7" and under Driver Information it says "Driver Description: AMD Radeon R7 200 Series" and "Driver version: 16.150.2211.0 (Crimson Edition 16.3.2)

So, who/what do I believe, and how should I proceed?

I have a dual display setup, and the most taxing thing I ask of it is probably something like opening Microsoft Word 2011... when I bought the PC in 2012, I specified something fast and QUIET. The HD 7750 is fanless, so I can listen to my music in peace.

Download the latests drivers, they support AMD Radeon™ R7 200 Series Graphics.

Thanks, I've downloaded the drivers. I have to go to the dentist now, so I'll install them later.

I ran the downloaded whql-win10-64bit-radeon-software-crimson-16.7.2-july19.exe with the result

AMD software and drivers have not been installed.
Installation complete (warnings occurred during installation). View the log for details.

So, I viewed the log:
AMD Display Driver
Final Status: Fail

I clicked on Fail, a pointer to further down the page:

Error Message:
Driver Install: the installation failed

That's very helpful, don't you think? So where do I go next?

Did you uninstall all previous AMD software and run the installer as an Administrator from an Admin account?

Try uninstalling and cleaning drivers first: Display Driver Uninstaller Download version 16.1.0.0

I have a dual display setup, and the most taxing thing I ask of it is probably something like opening Microsoft Word 2011... when I bought the PC in 2012, I specified something fast and QUIET.
Be careful of that, Microsoft Office 2011 [Word 14] is for the Macintosh computers only. The Windows version if Office 2010/Word 14.

Be careful of that, Microsoft Office 2011 [Word 14] is for the Macintosh computers only.
Well, that would cause all sorts of problems, wouldn't it?
I meant Microsoft Office 2010 Word, of course. I just didn't bother to verify what I have.

Did you uninstall all previous AMD software and run the installer as an Administrator from an Admin account?
No, I didn't uninstall anything. The Radeon Crimson install updated my Audio drivers as well, and I'm extremely wary of doing anything that affects audio.
But whilst I was looking around on my system, I found the problem. I'd covered the popup saying that the system needed to be restarted, and forgotten all about that. The restart fixed the problem, and now I have the Radeon drivers.

I feel a complete and utter idiot (I had to get that in before anyone else did). It's just as well that I retired four years ago... I might have been doing something important (see here)

Maybe this will fix the other problem - my icons moving around by themselves. I share this problem with lots of other people, so it seems.

Do I have AMD drivers or not?