Location:
State:
Carrier
Country
Status

Thumbnail Cache Slow Loading


I have my "Downloads" folder in my secondary mechanical drive (D. As far as I know about thumbnail caching, once it loads the thumbnail/icon of the file, it should save it until you explicitly clear the cache (using disk cleanup or a similar tool). What happens on mine is that every time I restart the machine and go to the Downloads folder, it starts loading up all the icons of the many files (mostly installers) that are in that folder. Is this normal?

I can definitely notice the delay because these are saved on a mechanical drive. I'm so used to an SSD that I can easily spot how slow mechanical (even though I have a high-end Samsung HDD) drives are.

Have you tried deleting the icon cache Iconcache.db at C:UsersUsernameAppDataLocal and rebooting?

Thumbnail Cache - Clear and Reset in Windows 10

Have you tried deleting the icon cache Iconcache.db at C:UsersUsernameAppDataLocal and rebooting?
Not yet but let me try that. Could it be just corrupted?

I just did that and the first restart did not have the problem. I restarted the machine again and the same thing happens. Any other thoughts please?

Do you use a system cleaning program (e.g. CCleaner, Glary Utilities)?

Do you use a system cleaning program (e.g. CCleaner, Glary Utilities)?
No, I don't.

.....What happens on mine is that every time I restart the machine and go to the Downloads folder, it starts loading up all the icons of the many files (mostly installers) that are in that folder. Is this normal?

I can definitely notice the delay because these are saved on a mechanical drive....
From my experience a folder with a lot of installers will take more time to load the first time, the green bar can take up to a few seconds. I've also noticed that installers can take longer to copy so maybe it's just a 'Windows thing'<shrug>

What do you exactly mean by the "first time"? Does that mean that it does it every time the machine restarts? I would understand if it's just the way it is, I just wanted to confirm

I start or restart the computer then the first time I open that folder it can take a long time to load completely but after that it loads quite quickly. If the computer is busy doing something else (downloading etc) the folder might take a few seconds to load completely

I start or restart the computer then the first time I open that folder it can take a long time to load completely but after that it loads quite quickly. If the computer is busy doing something else (downloading etc) the folder might take a few seconds to load completely
Ok, that's exactly what's happening on mine.

Thumbnail Cache Slow Loading