Location:
State:
Carrier
Country
Status

How do I remove desktop folder shortcut from desktop?


Hi, I know the title might sound a bit confusing, but basically I accidently dragged out the desktop shortcut from the quick access bar to my desktop and it now created a folder saying Desktop (similar to say, going to the control panel>personalisation>change desktop icons and ticking this pc or personal folder) and now I can't remove this folder, there's no delete option when I right click on it and if I try to drag it to my recycling bin it attempts to delete everything from desktop and it doesn't look like I can remove this shortcut (or "link" as windows calls it) from the control panel where you could remove icons such as the recycling bin or this pc etc.
Soo anyone have ideas as to have I can remove this Desktop shortcut?

Right click it and see the location it is linked to. If it is a user folder, select properties > the location tab and restore default. It should put it back in it's default location.

You could also try to pin it to the Quick access Bar, which if I understand correctly, is where it once was. Quick access - Pin or Unpin Locations in Windows 10 - Windows 10 blog

If it is just a shortcut, it is only a link and should NOT delete the Desktop folder.
I just tried and had no problems.
I followed what you did, dragged the quick access icon to the desktop, properties was no help, because it is a .lnk and not a folder or file, or worse yet the library.

deleted in recycle bin


emptied recycle bin


My Desktop is still there


   Note
Of course I made a System Image with Macrium Reflect, before testing this. I'm not suicidal

If it is just a shortcut, it is only a link and should NOT delete the Desktop folder.
I just tried and had no problems.
I followed what you did, dragged the quick access icon to the desktop, properties was no help, because it is a .lnk and not a folder or file, or worse yet the library.

deleted in recycle bin


emptied recycle bin


My Desktop is still there


   Note
Of course I made a System Image with Macrium Reflect, before testing this. I'm not suicidal
@Cliff S, Cliff, that's what I know too. If deleting it removes his desktop content, I thought it had to be the User Desktop folder.

@Cliff S, Cliff, that's what I know too. If deleting it removes his desktop content,I thought it had to be the User Desktop folder.
It has to be, yep

Maybe restoring it will solve his problem.

@Mahir007 can youpost a window shot or screeenshot of the Icon and the Properties.

I'm looking to see if it has a Location Tab like this:
This is from C:Usersmy name
This is the Desktop folder and NOT a shortcut.


As you can see in the next window shot, this is properties for a shortcut, and does not have a Location tab:

How do I remove desktop folder shortcut from desktop?