Location:
State:
Carrier
Country
Status

Windows 10 robocopy ERROR 1392 (0x00000570) file or directory is corru


I keep all my personal and business data on a 2TB Passport external drive and back up key parts of it daily to two other external drives using robocopy. I've been doing this for years.
Since I upgraded to Windows 10, however, I keep getting the error I mentioned above (in the subject line). Robocopy complains that some file or directory on the **destination** drive is unreadable, and sure enough, I am unable to delete the file. I've tried both File Assassin and File Unlocker. File Assassin complains that it cannot see the file. File Unlocker claims to delete it, but I still see it in Windows Explorer, even after rebooting. The only way to get rid of the file is to boot in safe mode and delete it.
Problem is: this keeps reoccurring in different places in the filesystem !!!
Relevant facts:
* It occurs on *both* of my backup drives, which suggests to my mind that the problem is not with the backup device.
* Again, it occurs with different files in different places. There's no detectable pattern as far as location.
* CHKDSK reports no problems on any of my disks
* SFC reports no problems on any of my filesystems
For now, I've settled on the following work-around: I tell robocopy to ignore read errors:
For EX: robocopy g:data q:data /mir /R:0 /W:0
So now robocopy runs to completion instead of hanging, but it reports FAILURES.
I am worried about my data and would appreciate guidance and suggestions.

Have you disabled Fast Startup? Fast Startup - Turn On or Off in Windows 10

Have you disabled Fast Startup? Fast Startup - Turn On or Off in Windows 10
No. Is Fast Startup known to cause this kind of problem?

On shutdown, Fast startup does not completely shut down. It goes into a deep Hybrid hibernation state, mainly meaning the Hard drives do not dismount. Disconnecting a hard drive can cause issues with some systems. I would suspect you disconnect your external hard drives often. I am only guessing that this could be your issue or part of it. It is a simple process to try, if you would like to give it a try.

Fast Startup - Turn On or Off in Windows 10


Also, I wouldn't think it is a robocopy problem. I use robocopy to back up my data frequently and have never had a problem although I use different parameters than you do. I use:
robocopy E:users X:Robocopy_W10_Data /e /mir /np /tee /log:backup_log.txt

This is a good read and some good info on robocopy

Also

I rarely unplug these external drives, so it wouldn't be that. I will try disabling Fast Startup. Thanks much for the suggestion.

Windows 10 robocopy ERROR 1392 (0x00000570) file or directory is corru