Location:
State:
Carrier
Country
Status

Problem "solved"!


I have successfully installed Windows 10 ("final') on three devices: One venerable notebook, one "media" desktop computer (in my living room) and my main desktop computer in my home office.

Unfortunately, I have encountered a strange phenomenon on my main work computer. I have set the taskbar icons to "large" and they are a "bearable" size. However, the desktop icons (which I don't display on the desktop) in the taskbar are TINY (!) — and I can't find any way to make them larger.

What make this strange is that there is NO disparity between the size of the App and desktop icons on the desktops of the other two machines. Am I missing a setting, or is this a "glitch"? Is there a workaround? It is really NOT acceptable — a "step backward" form Windows 7, in my opinion.

Hello Hammerz Welcome to the windowssh blog!

You aren't the first to be complaining about the size of items pinned to the task bar. Efforts to adjust the dpi on those separately only seem to lower the desktop resolution as well. When 10 first went on here I had to change the screen res back from 1600x1024 or 1600x1152 to the native and supported 1440x900 for the pair of 19" lcds in use here. The task bar however remained at the 1600x ? res while the rest saw the 1440x900 take effect.

I tried unlocking the task bar as has been done previously with 7 to grow the size by widening out the task bar and it wouldn't budge a bit as another idea. That only revealed the shortcuts seen in the Quick Launch type additional tool bars added onto the main task bar as jump lists but didn't grow the icons any!



If you should find a solution for this I think a good number of people would love to hear about it just being one of the few annoyances the new version is bringing in with it. Too much emphasis on Tablet and a bit lacking now for the desktop is what the main problems seem to be.


Hello Hammerz Welcome to the windowssh blog!

You aren't the first to be complaining about the size of items pinned to the task bar...

If you should find a solution for this I think a good number of people would love to hear about it....
Hey, Night Hawk! I marked it "solved" because of what Edwin wrote in the posting above. "Solved" in the sense that I now have bigger desktop icons on the taskbar. Still feel like we should have more control over the size of ALL the icons, though! ;-)

Thanks for weighing in, and thanks to Edwin for the "quick fix"!

Chuck

Thanks, Edwin! Who'd have thought that it would be so simple? (Is this the way it worked in Windows 7? If so, I never used it!)

That;s so ironic since I have right clicked on the task bar as well as the dual lines in between the different addon tool bars as well as the pinned items and never once saw the view option at the top. Now I can update a thread where several of us had been wondering how to go about this being dumbfounded by a simple right click option missed! Good catch!

Hey, Night Hawk! I marked it "solved" because of what Edwin wrote in the posting above. "Solved" in the sense that I now have bigger desktop icons on the taskbar. Still feel like we should have more control over the size of ALL the icons, though! ;-)

Thanks for weighing in, and thanks to Edwin for the "quick fix"!

Chuck
Problem solved for not only but a good number of people! Have a look at what came out of it here!


Problem