Location:
State:
Carrier
Country
Status

add to messsage


I was sent back to my Windows 7 original OS. I made a back up DVD. Now I need to access the backup files but can't. I figured I could reinstall my Windows 10 upgrade and access the files. I can't find out how to reinstall Win 10. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Did you make an image backup of Windows 10 before you did the recovery?

It asked if I wanted to do a backup and I did. Went to a DVD.

It asked if I wanted to do a backup and I did. Went to a DVD.
If you did an image backup you should have been given a chance to create a recovery disk to boot from. Did you do that?

It asked if I wanted to do a backup and I did. Went to a DVD.
To restore your computer from backup:
  • Reboot your computer via your Windows 10 installation media.
  • During the Windows Setup, click Next, then click the Repair your computer link in the bottom-left corner of the screen.
  • Click on Troubleshoot and then click Advanced options
  • Select System Image Recovery.
  • Select the target operating system you want to recover
  • Click Next and Finish.


Edit: If you have not already done so, you will need to use the MS Media Creation Tool to create the necessary installation media. Instructions are in the link below:
How to Create a Bootable USB Flash Drive to Install Windows 10

Since you've already upgrade to Win 10, if you like you can do a clean install with the Media Creation Tool. Or do an in-place upgrade after installing from the backup, if there are issues with the backup that need to be fixed.

If you did an image backup you should have been given a chance to create a recovery disk to boot from. Did you do that?
--

Windows 10 will not create a repair disk-fails with error 0x80070057. In a chat with MS support, I was told that the image disk is bootable and no repair disk is needed. I don,t believe it. Is this true?

--

Windows 10 will not create a repair disk-fails with error 0x80070057. In a chat with MS support, I was told that the image disk is bootable and no repair disk is needed. I don,t believe it. Is this true?
When I create an image backup on Windows 10 I am asked if I want to created a bootable disk to restore the backup with. If you can't boot then you would need a bootable disk. In Windows 8.1 you could boot from the installation disk and do a repair from there.

In Windows 8.1 you could boot from the installation disk and do a repair from there.
Same in Win 10...

I received my windows 10 as a free upgrade to 8.1 so I don't have an installation disk. I guess that to find a bootable capable disk, I am going to have to go outside Microsoft and Windows. I hate to do that because they are always full of malware and unwanted crap apps. I do have a disk with bootable DOS on it (believe it or not), maybe that will work if the image disk has a setup file

ADDED: Please understand that Windows 10 will not create a bootable repair disk--I fails with error0x80070057--this is what started this thread originaly

add to messsage