Location:
State:
Carrier
Country
Status

Get Win10 File Explorer to open in last used folder


How do I get File Explorer to open in the last used folder? NOT quick access, just in the normal list of directories. (file folders)
I hate'quick access', it slows everything down so much and makes all other folders invisible - I just want the normal file list visible and file explorer to open in the same folder as I was using before, in that list.

Is this at all possible?

I can only answer 1/2 of your 2 parts question...........
Open File Explorer in This PC instead of Quick Access.

File Explorer - Open to 'This PC' or 'Quick access'

In the search bar, type file explorer options > at the popup box, click File Explorer Options > under general tab, at Open File Explorer to : click the pointer and select This PC > OK when done.



I don't know how to get the " file explorer to open in the same folder as I was using before, in that list."

Thanks for your reply, billy268
Unfortunately I was notasking about that, and my question did have only 1 part: - how to open in last used folderONLY.

(I already got win 10 to open in "This PC" instead of Quick Access.)

But what I actually WANTis for it to open in "LAST USED FOLDER"
I know that in Quick Access it will open with my last used file visible, but nothing else is visible, none of the files in the same directory, none of the other directories, I don't think even the directory that my last used folder is sitting in!

I prefered Win7.1 and I wish desperately that I had not given in and 'updated' (and thus downgraded) to Win10.
Please, someone... anyone! Tell me how to open in "Last Used Folder"? Please?

The way I do it is to put File Explorer onto the task bar and pin the folder I want and then right click and 'Open' it. But unsure how to
achieve what you want. I wonder if their is a 'history' somewhere like a browser?

Documents opens the same way..
- goes to the Quick Access file rather than the PC

- very annoying..

One more reason to hate the way MicroSoft loves to "change things for the better", thus making it worse for us users. I loved WinXP and was just getting to settle down with Win7, and BANG, Big Brother insists that you all use Win10 now. Grrrrr!
Thanks for trying to help, you guys.

I hate'quick access', it slows everything down so much and makes all other folders invisible - I just want the normal file list visible and file explorer to open in the same folder as I was using before, in that list.

Is this at all possible?
All MS software is basic, just use 3rd party file explorer and customize it the way you want to.

All MS software is basic, just use 3rd party file explorer and customize it the way you want to.
I already do use a third party file finder to seach for things, and have done ever since the search function in windows died some years ago.
If I hadn't I'd be bald by now with tearing my hair out in intense frustration.

I had hoped that even though lots of things were worse in win10 compared to win7, that maybe they'd have finally fixed that search function... but obviously not.

Third party file explorer... hmmm I hadn't thought of that, good idea, worth looking into. Thanks TairikuOkami

XYplorer behaves like that by default. Very configurable, optionally dual pane, tabbed. Not free, but given away usually at least annually.

Qttabbar (Quizo's) adds recent folders (and much much more to explorer), so in two clicks from launching explorer you could be back where you were. Not quite what you want, I know.

(It also lets you colour most of explorer's background (and hence also some of the control panel) which makes it a whole lot easier on the eyes).

Freeware, used by some here, no obvious bugs.

The closest you can get is "Restore previous folder windows at logon" in Folder Options.
If you're still in session, why not just minimize the window?

Get Win10 File Explorer to open in last used folder