Location:
State:
Carrier
Country
Status

"Nothing" only choice to keep for repair install


Hey All, I am trying to do a repair install of Windows 10 with an .iso DVD. My only choice is to keep nothing when I want to keep personal files & apps. There is a message at the bottom that says "You can't keep Windows settings, personal files, and apps because your current version of Windows might be installed in an unsupported directory". It's installed in C:Windows. Regards,

See if there is anything in this tutorial that will help you. You need to use the same ISO file of the build you are running too. Repair Install Windows 10 with an In-place Upgrade - Windows 10 blog

This can also occur if you modify the environment variable %programfiles% for example.

See if there is anything in this tutorial that will help you. You need to use the same ISO file of the build you are running too. Repair Install Windows 10 with an In-place Upgrade - Windows 10 blog
Thanks for the link. It says that the installation media I'm using isn't the same as the original. I upgraded to Windows 10 via a download pushed by Microsoft. So, I'm not sure how I could use the original install media again. Is there some workaround other than copying off my data, doing a clean install and reinstalling my apps & data so that the next time I need to do a repair install I can use the same media?

This can also occur if you modify the environment variable %programfiles% for example.
Thanks, I didn't intentionally modify it. If it was modified, I don't know how to find out what it's value was before to try resetting it.

Are you sure that it isn't simply a version mismatch? Home or Pro, language, etc.

Please do us a favor. Right click the start flag and select system and post a screenshot of that. Also, in the search box type winver and post a screenshot of that. This will tell you how to post screenshots here. Screenshots and Files - Upload and Post in windowssh blog. That will help us to know what you have and how to best help you.

Try to download the ISO from here, being very careful to download the correct version, language, bitness -


PS; downloading a new ISO worked for one of our most veteran members here -
your current version of windows might be installed in an unsupported

You can do a quick test by putting this on your desktop, r-click and select Open/Mount, then run setup.exe and see if the message reappears. If not, simply finish in-place repair w/o DVD.