Location:
State:
Carrier
Country
Status

redundant files again


after upgrading windows 7 to windows 10 I was left with redundant (?) folders in C.
namely:
$GetCurrent
$WINDOWS.~BT
$Windows.~WS
ESD
inetpub
Recovery
Windows.old
Windows10Upgrade

Assuming I don't want to go back to Windows 7, Can I safely delete these folders without harming the system
thanks

You can use Disk Cleaner > Clean up system files to do most of that. Whatever you delete using it is safe.

You can use Disk Cleaner > Clean up system files to do most of that. Whatever you delete using it is safe.
------------
thanks for your quick answer
did you mean something like ccleaner?
or which disk cleaner did you mean?

The Disk Cleanup built into windows.
Right click on C: > Properties > Disk Cleanup > Clean up system files and mark everything there.

or type cleanmgr.exe in the search bar.

Ok, I was able with some effort to delete $Windows.~BT & $Windows.~WS
but windows.old refused to surrender.
I am administrator, I took ownership of this folder, tried to rename it - nothing helped
Plus I couldn't find in disk cleanup anything I could check regarding previous windows installations
Since windows 10 is only from yesterday. Maybe I should wait for the first upgrade?

and I still don't know if I can delete:
@GetCurrent
ESD
inetpub
Logs
Recovery
Windows10Upgrade
thanks

Are you sure you were in Cleanup system files ??
Windows old is marked as "Previous windows installations".

Are you sure you were in Cleanup system files ??
Windows old is marked as "Previous windows installations".
----------------------------
many many thanks
now I found it!
windows.old is gone

what do I do with:
$GetCurrent
ESD
inetpub
Recovery
Windows10upgrade

and another question:
do I need pagefile, swapfile, hiberfil?
which one is relevant to windows 10
thanks

Don't know about this Windows10 upgrade, my guess is it contains W10 downloaded from somewhere.
Other ones I don't know what they are all about, never had any of them.
Hiberfill file is used to hibernate computer and if you don't do that can be removed by entering following line in Command prompt (as administrator) powercfg.exe /hibernate off
Pagefile and swapfile are used by windows for virtual memory and size can be adjusted depending how much RAM you have.

redundant files again