Location:
State:
Carrier
Country
Status

Hibernatiion


My pc suddenly started hibernating and it wont stop for 2 days now.. What im gonna do?

Do a force power off by pressing and holding the power button until the computer turns off. Wait a minute or so then power on and if offered, select to discard the current hibernation data or bypass hibernation, or something like that.

Maybe if you deleted the hiberfile it would stop. The command is powercfg -h off

Can't enter that command if he can't get logged in.

Hi,

If the power off cycle doesn't help then booting from a W10 rescue disk should entering the same command line.

Cheers,

Can't enter that command if he can't get logged in.
Maybe you can't. But I can. There is always a way to get to the command line.

Yes, you can get to the command line but powercfg it s not one of the commands you can run from an install ir rescue disc. As far as I know, you have to be logged in for it to work. I'd love to be proved wrong though.

Tell me how you can do it with a non bootable system?

Hi,

Assuming TS has a USB flash drive to spare and access to another W10 machine he can build a bootable flash drive using the following admin prompt command line where F: is the USB flash drive letter:

bcdboot C:Windows /s F: /f ALL

Once that's finished the usb flash drive can now be used to boot his machine off. After log on he can now run the required command line from an admin prompt to turn off hibernation:

powercfg -h off

If he now shuts down the machine and removes the usb drive he should be able to run Windows normally again.

Cheers,

EDIT: Although I can't seem to find any reference to it, it appears the flash drive needs to be Fat32 formatted for this to work. I tried a NTFS formatted one and that one refuses to boot for some reason beyond my wisdom.

I just tried this.

I selected Legacy USB from my boot menu and it booted into my normal Windows 10, which I think it's supposed to do, right?
If that works then I agree you can issue the powercfg command, but if it doesn't work (won't boot) then you cannot use powercfg.

Hi,

I selected Legacy USB from my boot menu and it booted into my normal Windows 10, which I think it's supposed to do, right?
Yes. With ALL parameter added to the bcdboot command it should be able to boot either in Legacy, CSM and EFI mode.

Cheers,

Hibernatiion