Location:
State:
Carrier
Country
Status

Processor keeps capping at 0.99ghz


Hello,

I recently reinstalled Windows 10 on my laptop using my install media created using the creator on the website. There were no issues with my CPU capping or anything like that prior to the new install.

So ive just realised my computer performing slow so i decided to check task manager and i see my CPU seems to be capping at 0.99 GHZ. I have checked my power options and ensured that the minimum and maximum processor states are at 100% on High Performance mode. My CPU normally runs at over 2.4 ghz. When i restarted my computer it was 2.4 ghz but soon after capped to 0.99ghz. I do not know why. I have taken some screenshots.

Idle:



Whilst running cpu stress program:




What could be the problem, please help

SOLVED: Just fixed it, I do not know why but my CPU caps on anything besides the power4gear poweroptions.

Thanks

I don't use any 3rd party software to manage power plans. They usually cause more harm than good.

I have the same ASUS Vivobook S550CB laptop, with the same Intel Core i5-3337U processor.

I came to this thread looking for an answer, and also tried the "Power4Gear" app, which did nothing more than give me a fancy GUI around the built-in Windows power management settings. It required something else to actually solve the problem, and I figured out what:

The problem is that the stock ACPI driver for Windows 10 doesn't properly read the ACPI tables for our laptop. This causes the Intel power management driver to malfunction, and the CPU speed to be capped.

The solution is to install the ASUS ATK Package, which includes the "ATKACPI" driver, which is an ACPI driver designed for the ASUS Vivobook S550CB.

You can find it here, under OS selection "Windows 10 64-bit", under subsection "ATK":



After installing this driver and rebooting, I was able to keep my CPU speed at up to 2.54GHz (the i5-3337U can turbo up to 2.7GHz according to Intel ARK, it achieves that speed in Ubuntu Linux 15.10 which I dual boot, but only gets up to 2.54GHz or so under Windows. I don't care about the missing turbo speed, there's probably a good reason ASUS limits the CPU turbo.)



OPTIONAL: Download the BIOS update with version 202. Extract the file S550CBAS.202 to the top directory of a FAT32-formatted flash drive. Reboot your computer and enter UEFI Setup using the DEL key. Go to the option that says "Start Easy Flash". You'll enter a screen with a list like "FS0", "FS1", etc. on the left, and files on the right. Select the numbered "FS" item that has the S550CBAS.202 file, then press the right arrow key to move the cursor to the files list on the right. Select the S550CBAS.202 file, and press Enter. Please wait while your laptop installs the updated BIOS/UEFI. If you get an error message saying "too old", then you already have the latest BIOS installed.

Hello,

I recently reinstalled Windows 10 on my laptop using my install media created using the creator on the website. There were no issues with my CPU capping or anything like that prior to the new install.

So ive just realised my computer performing slow so i decided to check task manager and i see my CPU seems to be capping at 0.99 GHZ. I have checked my power options and ensured that the minimum and maximum processor states are at 100% on High Performance mode. My CPU normally runs at over 2.4 ghz. When i restarted my computer it was 2.4 ghz but soon after capped to 0.99ghz. I do not know why. I have taken some screenshots.

Idle:



Whilst running cpu stress program:




What could be the problem, please help

Addendum:

I've done some experimenting and found that the Intel power management subsystem is interpreting the thermal power management settings BACKWARDS.

Right-click your battery icon, and choose "Power Options"



For your selected power plan, choose "Change plan settings"



Select "Change advanced power settings".



Go to the section "Intel Dynamic Platform and Thermal Framework Settings", and open the sub-heading "Config TDP Level":



Note that for each power scenario (plugged in, or on battery), there are two options: "17W @ 1.8GHz" and "10W @ 1.0GHz". The default is "17W @ 1.8GHz". This works on boot, but you'll notice your machine eventually cap the CPU at 1GHz. My previous solution of installing the ASUS driver was broken by a recent Windows update that wasn't solvable by uninstalling and reinstalling the driver. However, I discovered that the Intel Power Management framework was interpreting this option BACKWARDS after the system has been running for some time.

Set it to "10W @ 1.0GHz".


Have Task Manager open on the Performance tab, showing CPU speed. Press "Apply" on the advanced power settings dialog, and watch your CPU act like normal, that is, as soon as you press Apply and tell Power Management to start capping your CPU at 1GHz, it actually stops capping it and you get your normal CPU clock speed back.

You can leave this like this, but your machine will be somewhat slower during and right after boot, until the driver "breaks" and decides that it's Opposite World when it comes to obeying that setting.

Yeah, it's weird, it makes no sense, but that's what works for me.

Processor keeps capping at 0.99ghz