Location:
State:
Carrier
Country
Status

Win 10 does not recognize scanner


Hi, my win 10 64-bit install does not recognize my ACER 640U scanner.

I have downloaded the correct driver but win 10 does not install it. When I access "Scanners and Cameras" in the Control Panel and I click on "Add Device", point to the location of the .inf file, nothing happens. The "Next" button is grayed out. I can only click on "Back" or again on "Have Disk", which starts the circle again.
I have restarted my PC disabling the driver signature thing but it does make no difference.
Can someone help here?
Thanks,
Ed

I don't see your setup but I have run into problems with older devices using USB 2.0 when plugged into USB 3.0 ports even though the USB 3.0 is supposed to be backward compatible, some as simple as a wireless mouse/keyboard kit, multifunction printer/scanner devices and some older USB Thumb/Flash drives.

My Dell is over 5 years old and it does not have any USB3.0 port.

This is a very old scanner:
Microsoft Windows 2000, Microsoft Windows 95 OSR 2.1, Microsoft Windows 98/ME
Acer ScanPrisa 640U Specs - CNET

Just wondering if you really have a 64 bit driver for it?

If you only have a 32 bit driver you could use a virtualised 32 bit OS under win 10 and use it that way; other ideas suggested with 'difficult' scanners- a commercial program called Vuescan; you could also try a driver scanner program - DriverMax has found me 2 drivers I couldn't get any other way under Win 10 x64, but won't help if no 64 bit driver actually exists of course.

I found this driver: Acer x64.zip, unzipped it and tried to install it. Didn't work.

You have to install a 32 bit driver for that model
Not a 64 bit
Have you tried uninstalling the scanner from programs and features
Then reconnecting it and see if Microsoft will install a driver for it
Then to see if it works ok
Go to Start then All Apps
Then scroll down to scan
If short cut has not been placed in start tiles

I hesitate to suggest this, because it's far from free ($40/$80 for standard/pro), but Vuescan has your scanner on its supported list:

VueScan Scanner Software for Windows, Mac OS X and Linux

You have to install a 32 bit driver for that model
Not a 64 bit
Have you tried uninstalling the scanner from programs and features
Then reconnecting it and see if Microsoft will install a driver for it
Then to see if it works ok
Go to Start then All Apps
Then scroll down to scan
If short cut has not been placed in start tiles
But you can't use 32 bit drivers directly in a 64 bit OS... hence my suggestion of virtualisation or Vuescan (as Bobkn confirmed should be ok if worth the £££)

Thanks guys, I appreciate your help.
Ed

Win 10 does not recognize scanner