Location:
State:
Carrier
Country
Status

Keyboard Input Priority


Hello everyone!

My little problem I have two languages, Danish and Swedish. Myself, I'm Swedish but my boyfriend is Danish, so I use that keyboard just when I type some Danish cities or words to him.. my problem is that for some reason Danish layout gets 1st priority, and Swedish gets 2nd. Which means I have to switch the layout every time I start my computer. This isn't a pressing issue, I just want to know if it's possible to put Swedish as 1st. I have tried uninstalling the Danish one and installing it again but didn't work.
 

Hallå Soma, välkommen till windowssh blog.com

Open Settings, go to Time & Language > Region & language, open Additional settings, select Change input methods:


(Click / tap screenshots to enlarge.)

Select Advanced settings:



Under Override for default input method, select your preferred input language (keyboard layout) from the drop down menu, click Save, reboot:



That's it

Kari

Oh my god, thank you! Can't believe I missed what that did.. it worked! Marking as resolved.

Du är välkommen / You are welcome

Re-opening this thread because today it went back into prioritizing Danish keyboard, again..

Did you check the settings, was it changed to Danish in Override for default input method?

Override was still on Swedish.
 

I don't know what to do, to be honest. I am quite experienced in using and setting up multilingual Windows, both display language and input language. My input language is set to be Finnish, and it always stays as set, defaulting to Finnish when I sign in:



(My taskbar vertical at left, screenshot might look strange.)

Did your boyfriend use the PC after you set the default input language to Swedish, changing the input to Danish?

No no, my boyfriend is home in Denmark right now and he uses his own PC, I just tend to like to write for example Helsinør etc. in the Danish type of ö instead of Swedish. I Don't know if the computer temporarily broke today with it or what.

Do you have separate user accounts on your PC, for him and for you? If not, that's what I recommend. When done set his default override to Danish, yours Swedish.

In addition if you sometimes use Danish input in for instance an email app or word processor, select Let me set different input method for each app window:



This helps Windows to remember that even if and when you occasionally use other than default input method in an app, the main, system wide default should remain as set by you. When set you can test it works as planned by opening any app, let's say WordPad, and when WordPad window is active, change the input method to Danish. Now when you switch to any other app the input method should switch back to Swedish, and again switching back to WordPad the input method will automatically be switched to Danish.

See the video about how this works:



If this, different input method for apps is not set Windows sometimes remembers the last input method used before shutdown / sign out, and defaults to it when rebooted / signed back in.

Kari

Keyboard Input Priority