Location:
State:
Carrier
Country
Status

Possible to power on 2 OS at the same time? (Dual Boot)


Hello!

I'm wondering if is this possible!

For example 1 partition with windows 10, another one with linux. I start my computer and both systems will run, windows 10 as default system and with a simple hotkey, I change my screen to the linux system.

I am dreaming?

I'm wondering if is this possible!
Not the way you described. With two OSs, each in its own partition, only one can be running at a time.

If you had both OSs in the same partition, with one installed inside a VM, then you could toggle back and forth between the two, but you'd need a powerful enough machine to run two OSs, basically, I'd recommend at least 4GB of memory and a multicore processor.

Not the way you described. With two OSs, each in its own partition, only one can be running at a time.

If you had both OSs in the same partition, with one installed inside a VM, then you could toggle back and forth between the two, but you'd need a powerful enough machine to run two OSs, basically, I'd recommend at least 4GB of memory and a multicore processor.
Well, I have intel i7 and 16gb ram, already tried vmware but didnt work for what I want so..

I have 2 physical disk, if I install one OS in each one I can do it?

For example: I start my computer with my main OS (Windows 10) and then inside with hotkey or something I start the other OS (Windows 7), and change betwen them without restart.

Thanks!

A Virtual Machine is the only way to do this, and your system should be more than capable of running Linux in a VM.

The disk/partition arrangement is irrelevant; a PC can have only one 'real' OS running, this a fundamental concept.

Virtual Machines run within the context of the one 'real' OS.

Sadly what Nus is saying is correct, there is no way to make 2 OS's run at the same time without using a VM.

Nus describes at as a fundamental part of how a pc works and this is correct also in that it's the operating system which allocates memory and resources made available by what you put in. There is currently no way to do what you describe at a hardware level because essentially what you would need is another OS controlling what the other 2 OS's are using.

So you could either run Windows 10 and VM Linux or the other way around, Or you could VM both using another OS entirely. which would lead to some flaky performance without having commercial grade hardware to do it.

okay guys! Thanks so much for all your responses!

Solved

Possible to power on 2 OS at the same time? (Dual Boot)