Location:
State:
Carrier
Country
Status

Windows 10 Won't Install


Hi. I am running Windows 7 64. I have tried several times to install Windows 10. Each time the install stops with a message that my hard drive is locked, please unlock your hard drive. I don't understand and I don't know what to do. Any help greatly appreciated.

Is your hard drive a SSD?

Is your hard drive a SSD?
Sorry, but I don't know. How do I find out?

EDIT.....I went into System Information, but all it tells me is the description (local fixed drive), file system (NTFS) and some other stuff. Nothing about SSD or HDD.

Since you are running Windows 7 do the following.


Right click on Computerand select Properties. In the window that opens up click on Device Manager(top left hand side of window). WhenDevice Manageropens up click on Disk drives. This will show a description of your hard drive with SSD against the name if you are running an SSD.

Since you are running Windows 7 do the following.


Right click on Computerand select Properties. In the window that opens up click on Device Manager(top left hand side of window). WhenDevice Manageropens up click on Disk drives. This will show a description of your hard drive with SSD against the name if you are running an SSD.
There is nothing showing SSD, so I guess it's not a SSD hard drive.

I found this post by Sharief K here: The drive where windows is installed is locked. Unlock the drive and - Microsoft Community

Let’s try these steps and check if it helps.
1. Boot up from your Windows 8 disc.
2. Don't click 'Install Now', click Repair Your Computer.
3. Click Advanced Options.
4. Click Other Options.
5. Click Diagnose my PC.
6. Wait for your computer to reboot.

Your computer has now an unlocked hard drive.

You may also refer to the link and check if it helps.


Note: Modifying BIOS/complementary metal oxide semiconductor (CMOS) settings incorrectly can cause serious problems that may prevent your computer from booting properly. Microsoft cannot guarantee that any problems resulting from the configuring of BIOS/CMOS settings can be solved. Modifications of the settings are at your own risk.

Hope it helps.

Thanks for trying to help with this problem. Since I don't have a Windows 7 disc, (no idea why this PC didn't come with one) I can't use the suggestion from Ztruker. I tried again today to install 10, once with windows update, got the locked hard drive thing again, and once with the Media Creation Tool, got a windows 10 did not install properly, reboot and try again.

Looks like I be staying with 7 for the foreseeable future.

Decided not to give up just yet.

Windows 10 Won't Install