Location:
State:
Carrier
Country
Status

Can't write to Unix CIF shares


I have a Freenas Server (based on FreeBSD Unix) connected to my network. I can't get it to show up in file explorer untill I type "//000.000.000.000" (it's IP address). When I try to drag a file to the window CIF shares (Permissions in Unix are Allow Guest Access and Recursively set sane default windows permissions on share) I get the error "You Need Permission to Perform this Action". Both of these features worked on Win 7 Pro before I did an upgrade to Win 10 Pro. I also did a fresh install of Win 10 Pro and it made no difference so I restored a Macrium image of the Win10 Pro Upgrade.

Other directories in the windows from other CIF shares asked me for a user name and password. So I entered the Freenas username and pw. After doing that I was able to write to the CIF share in question that didn't ask for a username/pw. Not sure what happened.

Do you have a user account set up on your NAS? You should do so using the same usernamepassword as you used for your Windows 10 account. This should allow access without the need for Credential Authentication.

Linux and Unix uses Samba not CIF. You need to go back through your Freenas settings and also do the following on the Windows machines as an administrator in Powershell:

sc.exe config lanmanworkstation depend=bowser/mrxsmb10/nsi

sc.exe config mrxsmb20 start= disabled

You also have to flush the DNS and reset Winsock to get it to work, then reboot the Windows computers and it should work at that point.

Freenas is based on FreeBSD and it uses CIF. I'm sure your correct about Linx and Unix. Here is a picture from my web interface.

The SC.exe command is run from a command prompt on my windows machine?
What does it do?
Is that still correct for a CIF share?

Linux and Unix uses Samba not CIF. You need to go back through your Freenas settings and also do the following on the Windows machines as an administrator in Powershell:

sc.exe config lanmanworkstation depend=bowser/mrxsmb10/nsi

sc.exe config mrxsmb20 start= disabled

You also have to flush the DNS and reset Winsock to get it to work, then reboot the Windows computers and it should work at that point.

Windows uses CIFS. Linux and Unix use Samba to communicate with Windows servers and workstations.

CIFS is Microsoft's way of communicating with Linux and Unix servers.

Common Internet File System

PROBLEM - Unable to access CIFS shares on Windows 10 | FreeNAS Community

Unable to access FreeNAS cifs share from Windows 2003(R2) | FreeNAS Community

Creating a FreeNAS CIFS/SMB Share

Can't write to Unix CIF shares