Location:
State:
Carrier
Country
Status

How to make snipping tool default to new snip


Hello,

Just upgraded to Win 10 from Win 7. I am trying to like it . One of the annoyances I've found so far
is the snipping tool. When on Win 7, when I did my shortcut keys to open it, it would automatically go
into snipping mode so I could just move my mouse to create my snip. Now, it makes you select new and
what type you'd like. I have looked around the settings to make it act like it did when in Win7 but so far
no luck. Does anyone know how to make it just start like it did when using it before I upgraded?
I only have interest in creating a snip this way. Thanks

Yes, having to make that one extra click is surprisingly irritating. I was very happy using the tool when it was 'ready to snip' with the last used setting. If I occasionally wanted to capture a menu, I could with just a few more clicks. Having to press 'new snip' each and every time seems pointless, slow and cumbersome.

The answer is NO. You can not set as in W 7
The reason to change the behaviour before putting into snipping mode so the user can:
  1. Select the type of snip such as : region, windows etc....
  2. Snip popup menu/windows

With Snipping tool, it is more efficient to use hot keys instead of mouse click.
CTRL+PrintScreen ====> Snipping Mode
ESC ====> Normal Mode

Snipping tool is only for basic screen capture. There are free screen capture tools that you can download and use a portable (no installation needed) such as:
Greenshot - a free and open source screenshot tool for productivity

PicPick | All-in-one design tool, Screen Capture, Image Editor, Color Picker, Pixel Ruler and More

Which you can draw Callouts, Box, Arrow, high lite etc.....

Guys, thanks but this is almost a year old. I've accepted that Win 10 has its quirks and I really wish
MS would just leave things alone sometimes. I also have been using shortcut keys on 10 as I did in 7 and No,
I don't want to get another screenshot tool, I would have done so already. I take an occasional snip, it
is simple and easy even though this extra step is needed for some reason on 10.

Not to start a debate, but I prefer the fact it doesn't start up in capture mode. Now I can start it and have it ready for when I'm ready without any extra clicks. People always complain, but they never stop to think that Microsoft can't make everyone happy all the time with every feature.

Not to start a debate, but I prefer the fact it doesn't start up in capture mode. Now I can start it and have it ready for when I'm ready without any extra clicks. People always complain, but they never stop to think that Microsoft can't make everyone happy all the time with every feature.
So, you're saying that you have it ready without extra clicks, meaning it's ready to snip right away? How did you do that? Trust me, I'm old, lol, and have been working with MS since DOS only days. I just wished they had more options for this unless you're saying what I'm reading from you that you found a way.

No, I mean I like it the way you don't. I'm happy that it starts up without being in "ready to clip" mode. That's just my preference, though.

No, I mean I like it the way you don't. I'm happy that it starts up without being in "ready to clip" mode. That's just my preference, though.
OK, gotcha.

How to make snipping tool default to new snip