Location:
State:
Carrier
Country
Status

What program(s) installs Open Candy in windows 10?


What program(s) installs Open Candy in windows 10? Could it be Microsoft Solitaire that causes this issue?I realize some people and some other programs no longer consider OpenCandy a pup or a threat.

I mounted an image of windows 7, 10 using Macrium. This is the results of scanning the Macrium image windows 10 partition plus the empty partition using Malwarebytes


Files: 1

PUP.Optional.OpenCandy, D:UsersUsersUser nameAppDataLocalTempis-MCL9U.tmpOCSetupHlp.dll,

This is the results of scanning the image windows 7 partition using Malwarebytes Anti-Malware

No malicious items detected


Heuristic scanning was checked in all scans.

I have Microsoft Solitaire and it did not install anything extra with it.

What a mystery.

I don't think the pup is installed, because the OCSetupHlp.dll was the only file in the temporary folder. The cause still baffles me. I will just do another clean install of windows 10. All my other scans came out as No malicious items detected

Here what I have installed or tried to install on windows 10
Avg 2015 (installed but didn't work correctly)
7-Zip
Apple Software Update
DOSBox-0.74
Foxit Software 6.1xxxxx
Google
Intel
Internet Explorer
Java
Macrium
Microsoft Works
MiniTool Partition Wizard Free 9.0
MozBackup
Mozilla Firefox
Mozilla Maintenance Service
Mozilla Thunderbird
Opera
Pale Moon
QuickTime
Realtek
SeaMonkey

I have all but one of the software installed in windows 7.

Did some Googling and found this page reporting that dosbox-0.74 is using an installer that also contains OpenCandy:

Malware scan of dosbox-0.74.exe (DOSBox) 30b9298add2cd3a656ad9a6f19172d05edb4e91a - herdProtect

You may find its Foxit.

You may find its Foxit.
Yes, with Foxit you have to watch what they sneak in when you update the program.

Last time I did it there was some kind of Cloud something installed. I took it out with Revo uninstaller.

During the update there is no place to uncheck a box to stop it from installing.

Yes, with Foxit you have to watch what they sneak in when you update the program.

Last time I did it there was some kind of Cloud something installed. I took it out with Revo uninstaller.

During the update there is no place to uncheck a box to stop it from installing.
Disconnect from the internet before installing foxit, so you can turn off the auto update. I thought it might of been free Avg installing there pc-tool kit. I don't like the newer version of foxit, didn't work to well on windows 7 but it might on windows 10.

Disconnect from the internet before installing foxit, so you can turn off the auto update. I thought it might of been free Avg installing there pc-tools kit. I don't like the newer version of foxit, didn't work to well on windows 7 but it might on windows 10.
It does work fine in 10. I also used it in 8.1, no problem's there either, except the little extra's.

10 does have a PDF reader in it but, I have not tried it yet. If it work good, I will remove Foxit.

I found a Wikipedia article that lists programs know to use OPEN CANDY. Foxit is on the list. Here is a link to the complete list. Hope this helps in some way.


I found a Wikipedia article that lists programs know to use OPEN CANDY. Foxit is on the list. Here is a link to the complete list. Hope this helps in some way.

Thanks for the link, great find. There sure is a long list.

I see Power ISO is on it. I tried to update it a couple of month's ago and it had all kind's of extra's
with it.

I tried it yesterday and it was clean. So now it is up to date and no strange program's installed with it.

What program(s) installs Open Candy in windows 10?