Location:
State:
Carrier
Country
Status

Windows 10 Defender


With Windows 10 about to be released, I'm considering upgrading from Windows 7 which I currently protect with a version Norton Internet Security compatible with Windows 7 but not 10. I'm not too keen on the later build of NIS & can extend my current build for a further year.

My question is: How good is 'in built' Windows 10 Defender at protecting home PCs from threats or should I consider using something else & if so, what would be recommended?

I'm open to suggestions to anything but definitely not AVG - free or otherwise (bad past experience when using with earlier build of Windows 10).

For me Defender is just fine and I'm sure that Norton will have a version ready for WIn10 if they don't already(and I think they do).

Overall I find that the best AV is the one between your/my ears. Again.. YMMV.

Jeff

Personally I would just stick with Defender, and the free version of Malewarebytes to do the occasional scan

as far as I recall it has improved a lot since 7, I have been using it on 8 for over a year and no problems

Windows defender went from malware only - to MS security essentials with malware and anti-virus - back to Windows defender with malware and anti-virus..

Been using only Windows Defender since XP

I've been using Security Essentials/Defender/Windows Firewall on all my PCs ever since the launch of Windows 7 and so far I've had no security issues. I am not considering any alternatives at the moment. And I agree with BunnyJ - no AV software is able to replace brains.

Oh and one more thought.. add on Malware bytes.. free. I like that with Defender.

Oh and one more thought.. add on Malware bytes.. free. I like that with Defender.
I was going to install AIS but Defender plus the free MBAM seems to be doing the job. I guess MS did fix what was MSE.

Thanks for info.

Managed to locate the exe file to open Defender & perform quick, full & custom scans as required.

Don't suppose there's an option to mouse right click to scan individual files.

UPDATE: Also found the shortcut under All Programs/Windows System

It doesn't look like Defender has been fully integrated into Win 10...yet. Hopefully it will be fully integrated at some point to give it all the functionality it has in 8.1.

It doesn't look like Defender has been fully integrated into Win 10...yet. Hopefully it will be fully integrated at some point to give it all the functionality it has in 8.1.
From what I can tell it is.. just as it is in Win8.1

Windows 10 Defender