Location:
State:
Carrier
Country
Status

Think I finally have my boot drive squared away


Went through this again:

1. Used Macrium to create a backup image of my Win 10 Pro X64 C: partition.
2. Clean installed Win 10 Pro X64 build 10586 ver 1511.
3. Restored backup image of my Win 10 Pro X64 C: partition.
4. Used Macrium's Restore task: Fix Windows boot problems to make sure Win 10 was bootable.
5. Rebooted and all is well. Everything works as before.

Checked my 250GB Sandisk EVO SSD structure with EaseUS Partition Master Free and now it looks right.



Complete process took about an hour.

not right, but it works - reserve partition is on disk 2

not right, but it works - reserve partition is on disk 2
Every GPT disk must have its own MSR Partition. For Windows, it's 16MB
For GPT data disk, it's 128MB
NOTE:
from screen shot, Disk 1 & 2 are my 2 separate Windows 10. Disk 3 is Data storage


look at his disk 1 again... Highlight the reserve partition for me..

look at his disk 1 again... Highlight the reserve partition for me..
I did not say anything different. His partition scheme of disk 1 is incorrect. His disk 2 is also a GPT disk so the MSR partition is associated with disk 2 which is a basic GPT disk, the MSR partition is 128MBand since you mentioned disk 2 which had nothing to do with disk 1.

I've also got that 16 MB partition - is it really necessary though...?

A Microsoft ReservedPartition, or MSR, is a partition of a data storage device, which is created simply to reservea chunk of disk space for possible subsequent use by the operating system software of a Windows operating system (Installed to a separate partition).
i.e. what possible "possible subsequent use" can 16MB be for? Other than store pointers on a system that supports deduplication or something...(which only Server does)

I've also got that 16 MB partition - is it really necessary though...?



i.e. what possible "possible subsequent use" can 16MB be for? Other than store pointers on a system that supports deduplication or something...(which only Server does)
Windows and GPT FAQ - Windows 10 hardware dev

OK, so it does hold pointers then, as opposed file pointers as in dedup it holds the partition GUID's...

Would suggest it is required then.

Okay, one more time I guess only this time I'll disconnect the two hard drives leaving only the SSD connected and see what happens. If I do finally get everything on the SSD (Disk 1) then I can delete the one on Disk 2, right?

Just finished doing this again. Disconnect the two HDDs leaving only the SSD.
Went through the backup C:, clean install, reconnect HDDs then restore C: and Macrium fix windows boot.
Looks correct to me now in EaseUS Partition Master.



Should I (can I) get rid of any of the extra partitions on Disk 2 now?

Think I finally have my boot drive squared away