Location:
State:
Carrier
Country
Status

default destination for prog's /apps /pics etc


Hi ,
I have a laptop with a 30GB SSD and a 500GB spinning HDD .

I want windows on the SSD but it ALWAYS runs out of space after a few weeks .

Can anyone guide me through a way to have new programs /apps /photos/downloads /.docs etc etc install on the big drive ( d:/ )

I use ITunes for example and during a backup the system reported " not enogh drive space on drive c:/ "

I lost the sony partitioning system when I went down the windows 10 technical preview road months ago .

Thanks

Ok so ive worked some of it out ...... for example I go to downloads > properties > location tab and change to d:/downloads . I do this for documents and pictures also . How to I make NEW apps / programs install to D:/ and not C:/

thanks

Get a larger SSD. 30GB is going to continue to run out of space, it's just too small for Win 10. People report having space problems with 60GB SSDs as well. I have a 250GB SSD in my Desktop and no space problems. Also a 120GB SSD in my laptop and no space problems there either.

Thanks for that answer , I never thought of that .

Snide remark aside, why try to fit 10 pounds of stuff in a 5 pound bag? Get a bigger bag.

I know that's an obvious fix but sometimes people just need to hear it anyway.

I'll stop annoying you with obvious answers now.

Have a sense of humour and grow up you sound like a 5 year old .
I apologise if I came across sarcastically but all I was asking was why when I had the recovery partition intact the 30 GB SSD never filled up and why , if you are unable to accept a bit of banter for providing an answer my 6 year old could have answered its a sad day .

Keeping everything down to 30GB or less is going to be a challenge whatever you do. I try to keep as much as I can not on the C: drive and it's around 38GB at the moment and I can't see any easy way to reduce that.
In addition to what you've done already, you could possibly get rid of a hibernation file if you don't need it; also the pagefile. You could also move the 'temp' directory to d: - that may be why you had the backup problem.
At least with my setup I've had no problem installing every ordinary program on G: (=your D: partition) - you just have to do a custom install and replace c:program files with d:programs.... Very few programs fail to ask where they should be installed and they all work perfectly well from G:
I don't know about moving the 'metro' apps; I've never touched them.
Also use the built-in Disk Cleanup to remove junk, and CCleaner also so you've got as much free space as possible.

bob

I was going to suggest a new drive, too, given the fact the cost has fallen for the 256 GB and lower sizes.

Have a sense of humour and grow up you sound like a 5 year old .
I apologise if I came across sarcastically but all I was asking was why when I had the recovery partition intact the 30 GB SSD never filled up and why , if you are unable to accept a bit of banter for providing an answer my 6 year old could have answered its a sad day .


Damn! Your six-year-old is smarter than my 18-year-old. Too late for a replacement I guess.

Thanks very much all .
I hope santa brings be a shiny 250 GB SSD .

And Ztrucker sorry for being sarky

default destination for prog's /apps /pics etc