Location:
State:
Carrier
Country
Status

Freezing During Normal Operation: Questions About Clean Boot


Hi everyone,

So I asked this question a while back but did not have much luck. I have tried a lot of things since then. The problem: my newly built PC is freezing during normal mode. It freezes when I do most things, but mainly while using the internet (videos, music, etc.) or playing Steam games (on or offline). Sometimes it will freeze in 5 minutes, other times in 30mins (but it usually won't last longer than 30 mins without freezing). I ran some tests (playing videos for 10+ hours) and it seems to work good in Safe mode.

I recently did a Windows 10 clean boot with mixed results. Here are some pics :

This Works and was original config with all Startup disabled:


This does not work:


As such, it would make sense that Steam is making my PC freeze. However, my PC froze before I installed Steam. And, I can uninstall Steam, return my pc to normal state and it will still freeze. This is my current config that works (though every time I open Steam, it says that a service is not running, obviously, and it will not run):




Here are my specs:


Windows 10
i5 6500
Gigabyte Motherboard - GA-Z170XP-SLI
SeaSonic SSR-650RM
Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4-2400 2x8gb
Mushkin Enhanced ECO3 SSD 240gb (only HD right now)
ASUS DVD Burner
Thermaltake Core V-51

Any help would be great!

Thanks, David

Even though this is not a BSOD problem (yet), please go to the BSOD Crashes and Debugging - Windows 10 blog then download and run the DM_Log_collector as instructed in the yellow Attentionbox at the top of the forum. Click on
Blue Screen of Death (BSOD) Posting Instructions

Upload the resulting zip file in a post here in this thread.

I should have been more clear earlier. This particular problem hard freezes my PC (so I have to hold the power to restart) and it does not leave any events in the Event Viewer (just a kernel power issue from hard rebooting). However, if you think it would help, I definitely can run the log. Please, let me know.

Thanks!

Never mind, way easier than I thought. I have attached the folder!

One more thing, I have been running it like this for the last two hours and it has been working fine:


I guess maybe it is Steam. I will run videos for a couple hours and see if it freezes.

Has Steam been know to freeze Windows 10?
  • DESKTOP-5LARBDS-Sat_09_03_2016_122640_01.zip (237.3 KB, 1 views)

Steam has caused some problems but not a lot that I've seen. If it runs for a week or two without steam then that would be pretty conclusive.

Have you tried installing the latest drivers from the Gigabit web site for your Z170XP-SLI board: GIGABYTE - Motherboard - Socket 1151 - GA-Z170XP-SLI (rev. 1.0)

Thanks for the tips! I installed the newest drivers but, unfortunately, it still freezes. I am now 99% sure that Steam is causing my PC to freeze because I only notice freezing when the Steam service is running.

So, any way that I can troubleshoot Steam?

I would try posting in the steam users forum: Steam Users' blog - Powered by vBulletin

Freezing During Normal Operation: Questions About Clean Boot