Location:
State:
Carrier
Country
Status

Scrambled menu text


Hi,

can anyone help me with this weird scrambling of the text in the menu? Windows starts up fine but after a while everything goes a bit strange, with large gaps where their should be text and areas greyed out (see jpeg attached).
This happened to me in 32 bit after I upgraded from 7. I assumed that a full hard drive format and reinstall of 64 bit would sort it out but no. Can't find anything on the net which is odd.

Thanks
 

Following a few reinstalls for other reasons this seems to have sorted itself out now. No idea why.

Glad yours sorted itself out. Mine hasn't though. And this is the only mention I have found on the web so far.

I have the same thing. After a sign in or a restart, things are fine initially; but after a few minutes (5 to 30 mins) the start menu text gets scrambled. Also if you mouse over an unscrambled tile the hover text may well be scrambled. The All Apps, the Most Used, the tiles and the task bar jump lists all get scrambled. If you know which tile you want, clicking it works fine. No apps/programs are affected; just the start menu.

I don't want to do a reinstall. Anyone any insights?

Try clearing the font cache - it worked for me.

Try clearing the font cache - it worked for me.
Thanks. I am giving that a try. The Windows Presentation Foundation Font Cache service wasn't running so I made it automatic and did a restart. All the notes on the web say to delete the ~FontCache files from %WinDir%ServiceProfilesLocalServiceAppData but there were none there; there were some however in that folder's FontCache folder. I'll try deleting those if the scrambled font problem persists. So far so good however.

I'll report back in a while.

Several hours later, and happy to report: no scrambled fonts.

Glad to hear it :-)

Drat! Spoke too soon. It did seem as though more time passed with no problems. However, it's back. :-(

I did delete what I think were the relevant files in ...Local and ...LocalFontCache and they were rebuilt.

And just for completeness: the notification area is also scrambled.

I was getting that before KB3093266, after a reboot it went back to normal. It was mostly showing on my taskbar that way. But lately when I try to print from IE, it shows scrambled like that.

Mine didn't change. It was happening before KB3093266 and is happening after. It would be nice to try a different font, but as far as I know, we can't change the start, taskbar, notifications, ... font.

Scrambled menu text