Location:
State:
Carrier
Country
Status

Repeated wake ups after sleep commands, okay before last update


A few days ago there seemed to be a large update to Win10, after this update I noticed that I was asked to speak into my mic certain phrases in order that Cortana could understand me. I have never used it nor do I think I need to. That aside I also found that when I clicked 'Sleep' from either the login screen or the sleep button on my (Wired) keyboard my PC immediately re-started and went back to the login screen.
I have tried some suggestions to stop the restarts but so far without success. I do not want or need the PC to wake up at night to update itself, I would prefer to do all updating manually after its downloaded the updates, or at shutdown.
Please see below: I tried the 'Only allow Magic Packet to wake up computer', and unticked 'allow this device to wake the computer', neither made any difference.



I also tried command prompt which gave the following information:

C:WINDOWSsystem32>powercfg/lastwake
Wake History Count - 1
Wake History [0]
Wake Source Count - 1
Wake Source [0]
Type: Device
Instance Path: USBROOT_HUB204&36206eee&0
Friendly Name:
Description: USB Root Hub
Manufacturer: (Standard USB Host Controller)
-------
C:WINDOWSsystem32>powercfg/devicequery wake_armed
HID-compliant mouse
HID Keyboard Device
----------
C:WINDOWSsystem32>powercfg/waketimers
There are no active wake timers in the system.

End.
On a previous powercfg/lastwake the result was Intel (R) 82579v Gigabit network connection.
I was also advised to select the dial up option for updates but for some reason this seems to have disappeared from the WiFi menu.

Any light you can throw on this would be appreciated,I do not have any tasks requiring auto restart from sleep so I think I would like to turn these options off, as long as I can then restart from the mouse or keyboard! (Both Wired)

Restarts can be immediate or may take a minute or so.
Many thanks
Alan.

Almost exactly the same situation. Sorry, I too need help.
tcebob

OK, "Instance Path: USBROOT_HUB20" was a clue. I removed my USB drive (using safe eject) and put the computer to sleep. Slept like a baby until I woke it with the mouse. Now, I really don't want to keep plugging and unplugging the drive -- and never had to until the latest update. So I believe there is a bug somewhere. Ora pro nobis.
tcebob

For computer alwaysturning on:
Power Options>Edit plan settings>change advanced powersettings>Sleep> Change settings to disable.

Network &sharing centre>change adapter settings>R click forProperties>configure>Power management, remove tick from allow device towake computer.
hth,

Thanks, Bastet. I already had the adapter set not to wake computer. Disabling magic packet.
tcebob

If you are still following, here's my solution: Purchased a usb switch from Amazon (HmbG - 1401) which cuts power as well as signal. Intended to manually switch it on and off. But I discovered that the problem went away, just leaving it on and in place. I think the switch is acting as a filter.
tcebob

Repeated wake ups after sleep commands, okay before last update