Location:
State:
Carrier
Country
Status

SSD Not being assigned drive letter


After formatting my extra SSD, windows won't assign it a drive letter when the computer starts. I have to use a third-party software to assign the letter, and I have to do it everytime it boots, and it's starting to annoy me.

Can't really find any solutions on google

Is it internal or external drive ?
Did you try assigning letter thru disk management ?

The drive is internal, and the only thing I can do with disk management, is delete the partitions on it.

Does it have any volumes created and are they/is it formated?
Otherwise it's only unallocated spaceand the OS can't give it a drive letter.

I don't know if you misread something in my post, but I can assign a drive letter through a third party software, and when I do that it works fine till I reboot.

I don't know if you misread something in my post, but I can assign a drive letter through a third party software, and when I do that it works fine till I reboot.
Yep, I skimmed too fast

Is there anything on it you can't temporarily move to another disk?

I was thinking maybe nuking the disk using the clean command in diskpart:

How to Diskpart Erase/Clean a Drive Through the Command Prompt

Then doing a full formatinstead of a quick one(takes much longer, but is more thorough).

Then lastly run chkdsk /r

Aren't there any other options? The only spare drive space I've got, is on a very old and slow HDD, moving all my things there would take centuries

Aren't there any other options? The only spare drive space I've got, is on a very old and slow HDD, moving all my things there would take centuries
try just the chkdsk /r first. It will check for errors and bad blocks and repair what it finds.

I doubt there's anything wrong with disk, must be something with windows. Do you have "Do not Show empty drives" checked or not in Folder options ?

I'm running chkdsk now.

CountMike, what does that have to do with the drive not automatically being assigned a drive letter by windows?

SSD Not being assigned drive letter