Location:
State:
Carrier
Country
Status

Method #1 did not work....


I recently completed my upgrade from Win 7 Pro to Win 10.
However I now notice that when I save some files, Win 10 does not seem to be able to find them.
When I use search I get the following message:
"These results may be incomplete, search is still indexing your stuff."
The animated donut runs continuously, and the files cannot be found.
Is there a fix? Or should I consider restoring Win 7?

I ran Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Home and it fixed after a while. Also try removing stuff, or restarting your PC.

Hello Chet, and welcome to windowssh blog.

Your search index has not finished updated for the changes yet. This can take a while if it's only running limited in the background.

If you like, you can manually rebuild the index to force it to update now. It would be best to let the computer sit if able to allow it to finish faster.

Search Index - Rebuild in Windows 10

Thank you, Brink, for your suggestions.
I tried Method No. 1, but at the final command to click OK on the rebuild, the screen quickly flashed and then nothing else happened to indicate indexing was in progress.
I still have to try Method No. 2, but that will not be until Thursday.....
ChetR

OK, tried method #2.
Interestingly the elusive files were available for awhile, but several hours later they once again disappeared!
The files are in a folder and I can access the files directly, but search apparently cannot find them....
Further thoughts?

Is the location still selected to be indexed?

Search Index Locations - Add or Remove in Windows 10

Is the location still selected to be indexed?

Search Index Locations - Add or Remove in Windows 10
OK, checked out above suggestion and ran Method #1 again. I allowed it to run overnight and the progress box told me the indexing was complete in the morning.
But the file is still missing.
I can go to the folder and access the file directly, and the properties of the file correctly refer to its location.
This conundrum does not happen all of the time, but it does happen some of the time.

UPDATE: I found a workaround. I Cut the file from the folder where it cannot be found by Search and paste it to the Desktop. I then Cut it from that location and re-paste it back in the correct folder. Now Search can find it! But I'll have to check again tomorrow morning to see if it can still be found....

OK, here's two screenshots to show my problem.
In Search Error #1 you will see that two photos "Via Salice #4.jpg" are in my Sundial folder.
BUT, in Search Error #2 (the blued box says Via Salice #4) you will see that search could not find them....
This is after multiple re-indexing....
(Unfortunately you will #2 before #1...)
  

How are the search results if you search using "Via Salice" or "Via Salice4" instead of "Via Salice #4"?

Method #1 did not work....