Location:
State:
Carrier
Country
Status

configure two network type wifi public and Ethernet private


Hello,

I have two network adapters in Windows 10 one wifi for connecting to internet and one Ethernet for local network.
I need to configure wifi adapter to public network and Ethernet to private network but i can't.

Inverse it work ( wifi to private and Ethernet to public ) but I don't need that.
(only wifi adapter have option to be discoverable by others pd in Network Settings -> advanced options )


I need to share files by Ethernet AND NOT by wifi.

Any suggestion?

Thank you

I would delete your current WiFi profile,
You can follow this tutorial from windowssh blog to learn how to do it
Wireless Network Profile - Delete in Windows 10

Then I would reconnect to the WiFi but when it asks if I want this computer to be discoverable by other computers I would select NO

I would delete your current WiFi profile,
You can follow this tutorial from windowssh blog to learn how to do it
Wireless Network Profile - Delete in Windows 10

Then I would reconnect to the WiFi but when it asks if I want this computer to be discoverable by other computers I would select NO
Thank's for answering but this not solve mi problem. This make both ( wifi and ethernet public )
I need wifi public and Ethernet private

There is mi scenario
On wifi adapter the ip is assigned by dhcp ( 192.168.1.xxx ) mask 255.255.255.0
select not disoverable when I connect to internet (also I uncheck "file and printer sharing" and disabled NETBIOS over TCP/IP for this adapter )

On Ethernet adapter I set manually the ip to 192.168.0.1 mask 255.255.254.0
there I have checked "file adn printer sharing" also enabled NETBIOS over TCP/IP

How to make discoverable only Ethernet adapter ?

In Network settings->WIFI-advanced options have one button "allow your pc to be discoverable .... " on/off
when turn on WIFI change to private when turn off change to public. ( this is the short way to do your above suggestion )

but for ethernet adapter have not this option.
So how to make Ethernet discoverable and WIFI NOT discoverable.

(The same scenario i have build on windows XP some years ago and working good )

Also for windows firewall how to put on wifi and off on Ethernet ?

Windows 10 have only two options for the firewall put on/off on public or private network.
Is for this why I put this title for my question because i need also to put the firewall on to WIFI and off on Ethernet



Thank you

I am not sure why you would want to give your Ethernet adapter an IP that is out of your routers subnet, If you really want to do this I would suggest getting another router for your Ethernet connections.

What are your reasons for picking these IP's.

I am not sure why you would want to give your Ethernet adapter an IP that is out of your routers subnet, If you really want to do this I would suggest getting another router for your Ethernet connections.

What are your reasons for picking these IP's.
Because I have a shared wifi connection and i don't want to share my files via router but yes over ethernet.

But just now I solved the problem ... in mi configuration I have forgot to put the default gateway so when I was putting the default gateway ( the ip of the first PC on the second PC and the ip of the second PC on the first PC ) ... only after that windows questioning if I want to make this network discoverable. ... so PRIVATE

Sorry for mi english and thanks for your answer

configure two network type wifi public and Ethernet private