Location:
State:
Carrier
Country
Status

Windows 10 - Start Up Menu, Task Bar, and Icons Don't Work


I would like to apologize in advance if I am posting this in the wrong section. I have encountered several issues with Windows 10, but I cannot figure out how to resolve the latest problem.

Specs:
OS: Windows 10 Home
Processor: AMD FX-6300
RAM: 8GB DDR3
Video Card: AMD Radeon HD 6850 2GB
Hard Drive: 1TB WD Blue



Current Issue:
I have had one issue after another since upgrading to Windows 10. My latest issue involves the computer booting up properly, but once I log into my desktop nothing works. Clicking on the Start Menu is futile as the cursor just spins around for a few minutes before it stops and nothing happens. Most of my icons on the bottom have disappeared, but some of them will slowly return if the computer has been on for at least 10 minutes or so, but clicking on them when they do show up does not work. Clicking on Firefox and Chrome does absolutely nothing. I tried to open the Task Bar, but when I do so it says "There are no running apps." I saw something about pressing the Windows button + R to bring up the Run dialog box on this website
. That works, but it is suggested to search Powershell and Powershell will not load for me to try what is recommended next. I pressed the Windows + R button again to search for "Control Panel" but I just get blue text that says "Adjust your computer's settings." With the Start Menu not working and not being able to find Control Panel, I don't know how to determine if the cause of current issues is an update or not.

I tried to do a system restore, but it did not work this last time. The restore date was 8/21 and description said Microsoft Visual C ++ 2012 Redistribute (x64). I got an error saying
System Restore failed to extract the file C:ProgramDataMicrosoftWindowsAppRepositoryStateRepository-Machine.srd from restart point. An unspecified error occurred during System Restore. (0x80070017).

I hope someone can figure out what is wrong and what I can do to resolve the issue this time around. I would love a permanent fix, but I am hoping that it does not come down to a fresh install of Windows 10. I have had a lot of other issues with Windows 10 in the past few weeks, but this is the first one that involves me being able to boot properly and nothing working once the Desktop loads. Below, I am going to share previous issues I have encountered in case things are related with one another in some way.


My Previous Issues:
1st Issue:
My first issue involved a reboot loop which I believe was due to the Cumulative Update for Windows 10 for x64-based Systems (KB3081424). I did a System Restore and that resolved issues for about a week.


2nd Issue:
Blue screen when I turned on computer.
Your PC/Device needs to be repaired:
The Boot Configuration Data for your PC is missing or contains errors.
File: EFIMicrosoftBootBCD
Error Code: 0xc0000001

I tried to repair it, but had issues at first. It said "Startup Repair couldn't repair your PC" and then I got Log file:
C:WINDOWSSystem32LogfilesSrtSrtTrail.txt

System Restore resolved the issue, but not before it checked for Error on Local Disk C: and repaired the drive.


Third Issue:
Similar to the second issue. I got Logfile with C:WINDOWSSystem32LogfilesSrtSrtTrail.txt again and repaired it.

     


Windows 10 - Start Up Menu, Task Bar, and Icons Don't Work