Location:
State:
Carrier
Country
Status

WinDbg error.


Hi,

I'm quite active on the BSOD subforum of Sevenblog and recently I've been having a small issue with WinDbg and I tried to fix it but it didn't work. It has something to do with symbols and its path has somehow gotten a bit messy.



Above is the error output that happens whenever I open up a dmp file with WinDbg.

I can't really recall that I've done anything specifically odd prior to getting this error.

/Boris

Create a folder called: symbolsthen create 2 sub folders called: privateand web
Add 2system variables:
_NT_ALT_SYMBOL_PATH
_NT_SYMBOL_PATH
and set them both to:
d:symbolsprivate;srv*d:symbolsweb*

NOTE:
I created in d: drive, change the drive where you create yours.

Create a folder called: symbolsthen create 2 sub folders called: privateand web
Add 2 system variables:
_NT_ALT_SYMBOL_PATH
&_NT_SYMBOL_PATH
and set it to:d:symbolsprivate;srv*d:symbolsweb*

NOTE:
I created in d: drive, change the drive where you create yours.
Still got the same error, do you have a screenshot of yours?


Well no wonder I got it wrong, I thought you meant to do it in one entry and include the & sign....

topgundcp

I've got it somewhat fixed, now it kinda prints double the checking of the symbols, sometimes it does, sometimes not, is this also a fixable error?

I don't have this problem so I cannot tell you what's wrong.
How did you set up WinDebug in the first place ? From WinDBG - Install Configure - Windows 10 blog ?
FYI, I didn't follow the tutorial. Just Install WinDebug for Windows 10 and set those 2's environment variables.

EDIT:you can try to delete everything under x:symbolsweb(Change x: to your drive letter) and let WinDebug re-download the symbols.

Those errors have a few reasons:
  • Missing symbols
  • Corrupted symbols,
  • Counterfeit system,
  • Hardware damage,
  • Improper configuration of Windbg,
  • Microsoft servers down (rarely happening)


In case of missing symbols, simply reload (re-open) the dumps a few times so the symbols are downloaded.

In case of corrupted symbols,


  • empty the symbol folder, move the symbols to a different folder,
  • open the dump a few times, this should download the necessary symbols,
  • move the symbols back to the original folder and say no when Windows asks if you want to copy the files with the same name too.

Well I mean honestly I can live with it. I just wanted to know if it was a common thing or not.

Well I mean honestly I can live with it. I just wanted to know if it was a common thing or not.
It is a very common thing, especially with new users

WinDbg error.