Location:
State:
Carrier
Country
Status

Can I Transfer an OEM Product Key to New PC?


I built a new PC and want to install windows 8.1. For this I need to buy a product key. I was told that OEM product keys are "married" to the motherboard for life.

But lets say I install win 8.1 and use an OEM product key yo activate it. And lets say in the future I get rid of the old motherboard and install a new motherboard. Will I be able to transfer the product key to the new motherboard? Or would I need a retail product key to transfer the key to a new PC or motherboard?

Microsoft tweaks activation rules for the Windows 10 Anniversary Update | ZDNet

No, however if your motherboard is broken and you replace it with the exact same motherboard you have to talk to Microsoft and they mayactivate it. If that same motherboard is no longer available, buy a new license.

I see.. Do you know if microsoft still allows people to download win 7 from them with a product key?

Did you read the link provided?

Did you read the link provided?
I did. But they dont mention if you can download win 7 from microsoft. Did you read the link?

Microsoft tweaks activation rules for the Windows 10 Anniversary Update | ZDNet

You are assuming this can be used for any mobo upgrade, and works if digital licence was based on upgrading from an oem licence. We do not know if it will work for certain.


The new EULA still does not permit it by the way.

I see.. Do you know if microsoft still allows people to download win 7 from them with a product key?

Use this link (thanks to member KYHI) to download windows 7 iso from MS even if key is oem.


I did. But they dont mention if you can download win 7 from microsoft. Did you read the link?


Ahh, you got me because the original post does not say one thing about Windows 7.

Use this link (thanks to member KYHI) to download windows 7 iso from MS even if key is oem.

Cool.. but I'll be using retail, not OEM.

Can I Transfer an OEM Product Key to New PC?