Location:
State:
Carrier
Country
Status

Can't unpin Microsoft Edge from taskbar


Hello Matthew, and welcome to windowssh blog.

You could do so by unpinning Microsoft Edge from the taskbar and Start menu, and setting whatever web browser you wanted to use instead as the default program instead.

Default Apps - Choose in Windows 10
I have already chosen chrome to be my default browser and when I double click on an html file, it opens in chrome as I expect. However I still can't unpin Microsoft Edge from the taskbar as you suggest. When I right click on the edge icon in the taskbar this is what I



This is seriously messed up, since it is giving me a choice to pin Microsoft Edge to the taskbar. Why would it give me such a choice when it is already pinned to the taskbar @#$&!!

(By the way, the four icons to the left of my system tray were added by using the quicklaunch toolbar mechanism, but this does not seem related to the problem.)

What's more when I right click on every other icon in the taskbar, the menu presented includes an option to "unpin" the application from the taskbar. It almost seems that Microsoft is going out of its way to tell me what I want. Yet I haven't seen others complaining of this problem, so perhaps there is a problem with my windows 10 setup? I thought I may have an extra icon somewhere that I could delete, so I checked here:

C:UserspaulAppDataRoamingMicrosoftInternet ExplorerQuick LaunchUser PinnedTaskBar

But I only see shortcuts to the seven applications that I have manually pinned to the taskbar myself.
Then I noticed this folder which surely must contain the errant link:

C:UserspaulAppDataRoamingMicrosoftInternet ExplorerQuick LaunchUser PinnedImplicitAppShortcuts

But no, indeed this folder is blank. (I have it set to show hidden files, so I'm sure about that).

I also checked the Registry
REG:HKEY_CURRENT_USERSOFTWAREMicrosoftWindowsCurrentVersionExplorerTaskband

but I only see the keys (Default), Favorites, FavoritesChanges, FavoritesRemovedChanges, FavoritesResolve, and FavoritesVersion none of which seems to be related to my problem.

Can anyone give me a suggestion on how to remove this unwanted and amazingly persistent icon?

~Paul
 

Hello Paul, and welcome to windowssh blog.

Using the tutorial below to reset and clear taskbar pinned apps should do the trick, but you'll have to manually "Pin to taskbar" all the app you want back again afterwards.

Taskbar Pinned Apps - Reset and Clear in Windows 10

Hello Paul, and welcome to windowssh blog.

Using the tutorial below to reset and clear taskbar pinned apps should do the trick, but you'll have to manually "Pin to taskbar" all the app you want back again afterwards.

Taskbar Pinned Apps - Reset and Clear in Windows 10
That batch file did the trick. Thanks a lot for your quick reply!

BTW it is amazing the hours we waste on simple things like this that one would expect simply to work.
Also as you suggested I needed to manually pin my applications to the taskbar again. At first I just tried copying the links I had saved from the AppDataRoamingMicrosoftInternet ExplorerQuick LaunchUser PinnedTaskBar folder back into that folder, but even after rebooting windows did not recognize that they were there.


You're most welcome.

This is usually caused by the taskbar pinned items getting corrupted.

Manually copying links into that Taskbar folder could cause issues as well. Manually copy links into that folder instead of using "Pin to taskbar" wouldn't work since they also have to be referenced in the registry.

Can't unpin Microsoft Edge from taskbar