Location:
State:
Carrier
Country
Status

Windows Explorer Right-Click Takes a Long Time to Display Menu


Hi,

For reasons I am unaware of, my previously-bulletproof Windows 10 Pro has developed an annoying problem. When I right-click a file in the right-hand pane of Explorer, the context menu can take in excess of 30 seconds to appear. Generally, this happens only the first time after a new boot. It does subsequently get a bit faster, but I am still sure it is slower than it was a couple of weeks back.

I haven't installed any new software, but I think at least one Windows Update may have been applied. I can't recall if the fault beginning coincided with a Windows Update.

Does anyone know what might be wrong and more importantly how I might fix this?

Kind wishes ~ Patrick

Do you do this as soon as the desktop appears? Because if you do, programs are probably still loading.

Have you performed any software maintenance on your pc in a while? Things I run on a weekly basis are ccleaner, wise disk cleaner, SuperAntiSpyware, Malwarebytes, <your chosen AV software> and Windows Defrag.

Another thing to try is sfc:

1. open "cmd" as administrator
2. type in sfc /scannow (the space before the / is important)
3. check the results when finished.

Thank you for the reply.

I have Norton running and it has reported no problems.

sfc /scannowalso reports no problems.

The system disk is an SSD, so I don't think that should be the source of the slow-down.

- Patrick

Have a look here and you might find the answer

Fix for Very Slow or Hang When Right Click On a File or Folder • Raymond.CC

Also have you tried to disable Norton to test if it makes a difference

Have a look here and you might find the answer

Fix for Very Slow or Hang When Right Click On a File or Folder ̢ۢ Raymond.CC

Also have you tried to disable Norton to test if it makes a difference
I will try both of those. Unfortunately, because this behaviour only happens once per reboot, it is going to take me a while to locate the culprit. If/when I do, I'll post my findings. In the meantime, thank you.

- Patrick

I will try both of those. Unfortunately, because this behaviour only happens once per reboot, it is going to take me a while to locate the culprit. If/when I do, I'll post my findings. In the meantime, thank you.

- Patrick
ShellExView seems to have cured the problem, but I had to disable pretty much everything non-Microsoft to do it. So now I guess I have to slowly re-enable things one-by-one, to try to spot the one that was causing the problem.

Thank you for the help.

Kind wishes ~ Patrick

Windows Explorer Right-Click Takes a Long Time to Display Menu