Location:
State:
Carrier
Country
Status

Windows Search - Files not shown


Hi Guys!
first of all, sorry for my english; it isn't my first language.

I would like to show you a very strange issue that make me crazy.
I have some HDDs connected through SATA in my PC and in one of them, I stored my files.
Included that path in Indexing service, Windows can't show me the file I search.

Instead, if I search a file or a folder stored in my DropBox folder for example, (under C:usersEmanueleDropbox) the windows search show it immediately.


Some example.
If i want to search a file or folder stored in D:, windows search not show any file....
If i search a folder in indexed in C: all works fine.





I tried to rebuild index too many times.

Hope is clear... please help me
 

Unfortunately I haven't any good news for you, it appears that the whole start menu search is broken fundamentally.

Just look over here:










Can't search for .exe files in start menu? : Windows10

Hi, have you set up search in file explorer to index the areas you want?
Click the search box, Search tab, Advanced options, Change indexed locations, Modify.
You can see how the indexing is progressing- it shows the number of items.

That said, searching using Cortana or explorer for files/folders/ etc seems to be a waste of time. (I've never used it).
I've always used e.g. Locate32 (fast indexed search by name+ optional find by content); 'Everything' is fast but more basic. There are others- straightforward, reliable, easy, uncomplicated.

Hi guys,
thank you for your reply.
@namelessrabbit: it's very absurd... With W7 and W8 the search service works well... and now in W10 I can only search in my user folder?!
The strange thing is I can search correctly for file and folder but not in other HDDs.
@dalchina: Hi! of course I've checked the indexing option.

I don't know what to do now

Can you post a screen-shot showing your (supposedly!) indexed locations? (explorer settings)

Do not use Cortana. Use the standard Windows Search in Windows Explorer. An even better option would be to use something like Ultra Search, which uses the MBR to find the files.

So out of curiosity, I plugged in a flash drive. It had a couple of files on it.
It was not in the indexed locations, of course.
Cortana failed to find anything on the drive.
I added a file, Cortana still failed. Somehow I wasn't surprised.
Explorer search found the added file very quickly, but continued some search activity for quite some time, slowing things down (green progress bar).

There are much better ways- using freeware solutions!

Can you post a screen-shot showing your (supposedly!) indexed locations? (explorer settings)
sure

@bro67
I don't need an external software.
with W7 and W8 I press the windows button and in 1 second I find the correct folder... I don't need advanced search.. just a folder

So out of curiosity, I plugged in a flash drive. It had a couple of files on it.
It was not in the indexed locations, of course.
Cortana failed to find anything on the drive.
I added a file, Cortana still failed. Somehow I wasn't surprised.
Explorer search found the added file very quickly, but continued some search activity for quite some time, slowing things down (green progress bar).

There are much better ways- using freeware solutions!
done the same but I can't figure out if I done some mistake somewhere...
why I can search correctly only in my C: drive?

Windows Search - Files not shown