Location:
State:
Carrier
Country
Status

Can't find "show password" for homegroup


Hi folks -

having trouble recovering my password for a Homegroup, Windows 10. I know, know - I don't know why I don't have it written down along with my other bazillion passwords...

I'm on the computer I used to set up the Homegroup, which I vaguely recall setting up a year or two ago when we first got this desktop. I'd like for other computers to access files on this desktop, I assume via the Homegroup. but I can't recall the password to connect to this desktop via Homegroup.

I've read that if I'm logged into the account on the computer used to create the homegroup, I should be able to go through control panel/Homegroup/show or print password - but I don't see that option.

When I go to CP/Homegroup... it says "bsn on NISNESTPC has created a Homegroup on the network" - and only gives me two buttons to "join now" or "close". If I attempt to "join now" - I get as far as needing to enter the password, of which I can't remember. There are also 2 links for "change advanced sharing settings..." and "start the homegroup troubleshooter". Neither of which are helpful.

In short - how can I recover my forgotten HomeGroup password in Windows 10??

Many thanks.

Windows 10 Run Command [Windows-Logo]+[R] and enter the command:
control.exe /name Microsoft.HomeGroupand click the text Change Password.

Go to the computer that initially created the Homegroup.
Go to File Explorer > left side, RIGHT click at HomeGroup > click View the HomeGroup password.


davidhk: thanks for this tip. However I discovered that when I right click on HomeGroup as you suggested, the option to "view the HomeGroup password" is grayed-out. I must be missing something!! Any further advice?

Railtech: thanks. I haven't tried this yet as I'm curious to know first why the option above is grayed-out for me. But curious to know: when I attempt to change my password, won't I need to know my current one?

Thanks

You signed in on your admin account or just a standard user account ?

actually - and update:

Today when I went to look at the Homegroup, it no longer said there was a homegroup created by "bsn321". So I created a new one.

Now I seem to have admin over it. I will continue exploring how this all works, but in the meantime, some quick questions that are top of mind:

- When I choose to create a homegroup - it defaults (automatically) names it "bsn321". This is a familiar name I must have used somewhere along the line - but where does the name of the homegroup come from? in this case, It's not my account name, it's not my email address - I'm not sure what it is. and would seem I cannot change the name of the homegroup once it's created. I did notice that if I leave the homegroup, I can start over, but still not sure where that bsn321 is coming from?

- once i have the homegroup established, and it's set to share my pictures, documents, etc. - how can I access these documents from another computer? I will try to learn more here but any useful links/instruction for laymen greatly appreciated.

Can't find