Location:
State:
Carrier
Country
Status

Help - Keep getting Scan Drive for Errors


I guess the title says it all. I keep getting notification about scanning my drive for errors ever since my dad restarted the PC while it was switched on forcefully using the power button. I know that is not the correct way of switching off or restarting a PC.

Ever since, my PC started behaving very strangely (very very slow, A/V being disabled, programs showing errors, etc.) so I decided to completely do a fresh clean install of Windows 10 Pro. However, I was surprised that after installing the OS, I again saw the error (see attached). I let the tool scan my disk for error but after restart, I got another error that read Restart to repair drive errors (screenshot # 2).

Why is this error persistent even after installing a clean OS. Will completely wiping & formatting my HDD resolve this? Please help!

Thanks!
  

Hi, have you ever actually clicked on that to let chkdsk run? Please do so and post the results.

I would also suggest you check the SMART parameters for your disk. I assume you have a HDD - maybe more than one- no idea what your PC is as you've not completed the specs.

If unfamiliar with SMART see
SMART Parameters and Early Signs of a Failing Hard Disk | Hetman Software
e.g.

You may find this (free for personal) tool useful
PassMark DiskCheckup - SMART hard drive monitoring utility
Please post a screenshot showing the SMART params. Thanks.

Hi dalchina, thanks for the quick response. I have run the program "CrystalDiskInfo" and instantly saw the status as "Caution" instead of Good. I have attached a screenshot of the results. I have also attached the results from PassMark for your reference. Thanks!





Mm- clearer indication.

Would suggest you make sure you have adequate backups of any data, settings, program licenses etc etc..

Tends to look like a disk replacement- which is allowed and you can reinstall Win 10 ok on a new one.
If you were in the habit of using disk imaging or creating system images (disk imaging is strongly recommended here) you could copy your working installation onto a new disk.

It may not be possible to complete an image with an apparently failing disk, so you may be faced with a clean install.

By all means try chkdsk and see how far you get...

I have backed up all my data and went ahead with another clean installation of Win 10. During installation, I formatted my hard disk and installed the OS. Since then, I am not seeing any of those errors. I will keep an eye for some more time and let you know if I still get those errors. I guess, the solution was as simple as a format but I can't really confirm that now.

Hope you're lucky- best leave a SMART monitor program running that gives an indication if sthg's wrong.

And use 3rd party disk imaging regularly and routinely - that way you can save your self clean installs, migrate to an SSD, replace your HDD and even- using Laplink's software - use the image to have your programs (most of them) automatically installed on a new PC.

I purchased a new HDD and smashed the old one to pieces :P Everything is fine now.

bet you enjoyed that.. some things last, like my 1977 cassette deck and 80's hi-fi, others don't.

Help - Keep getting Scan Drive for Errors