Location:
State:
Carrier
Country
Status

Windows 7 Pro can't connect to Windows 10 Home without a password


As stated in the subject line I can't connect my Windows 7 Pro system to a Windows 10 Home system via the network without a password being required. Strangely, I can connect from the Windows 7 Pro system to two other Windows 7 Home Premium systems on the same network without a password being required. Also, all these systems (including the Windows 10 Home system) can connect to the Windows 7 Pro system without any password being required. Does any one have any suggestions on how I can eliminate the requirement for a password to access the Windows 10 Home system from the Windows 7 Pro system? The Windows 10 Home system version number is 1511, build 10586.0.

Try:

Come on now, I said that all systems could access each other without requiring a password, EXCEPT the Windows 7 Pro to Windows 10 Home system. Don't you think that "Turn off password protected sharing" has already been checked?

Come on now, I said that all systems could access each other without requiring a password, EXCEPT the Windows 7 Pro to Windows 10 Home system. Don't you think that "Turn off password protected sharing" has already been checked?
Sorry. Apparently you know a lot more than I thought so I bail out.

Sorry. Apparently you know a lot more than I thought so I bail out.
Agreed - I had a couple of suggestions but reading the sarcastic reply, I would have probably been less polite in my response.

I'm sorry if I sounded sarcastic, but I don't understand how you could think all these systems could access each others shared files without password protection being turned off. There are four systems:

2 Windows 7 Home Premium systems
1 Windows 7 Professional system
1 Windows 10 Home system

All these systems can access each others shared files over the network without a password being required, EXCEPT when the Windows 7 Pro system tries to access the Windows 10 Home system - then a password prompt pops up on the Windows 7 Pro system. And don't forget that the same Windows 7 Pro system can access the other two Windows 7 Home systems without the password prompt. It seems that the problem is the Windows 10 system configuration, EXCEPT that the other two Windows 7 Home systems don't have any problem accessing the Windows 10 system. It seems to me that the problem is unique to the Windows 10 Home-Windows 7 Pro connection. What do you think?

I had the same issue with a Win 7 Ultimate machine. I fixed it by adding the logon credentials for the Win 10 machine in Windows Credentials Manager in the Win 7 Ultimate machine. Like you password authentication sharing was turned off on all machines but the issue still remained.

All I could think of is that both the Win 10 and the Win 7 machines were acting as servers instead of a single server multiple client type common networked workgroup.

Fortunately, Windows 7 Professional allows you to save your login credentials so I no longer have to provide a username/password to access the files on the Windows 10 system. Thanks for the tip.

Windows 7 Pro can't connect to Windows 10 Home without a password