Location:
State:
Carrier
Country
Status

Changing process priority or limiting maximum CPU


Is there any way to change task priority in W10, as it was in previous versions (Task Manager|Set Priority)?

Dropbox likes to spend the first 10 minutes after waking up my computer taking 60-90% of processor cycles, and I've also noticed other processes which seem to pop up and monopolize my system resources. I'm running an older Acer with a fairly slow Core 2 / 1.4GHz processor and it's just choking on the load. Under W7, it was very usable but in W10 it seems like even getting keystrokes/mouse clicks to register sometimes is like watching the old Cable TV guide channel.



Thanks!

Hi Overzeetop, welcome to the windowssh blog.

The priority can be set from Details tab:


Kari

Is there a way to fix an apps priority permanently, so you only have to do it once.

Hello Jerry,

If you like, you could create a shortcut that will always run the app with a set CPU priority.

CPU Affinity Shortcut for a Program - Create in Windows

Another option is to use the tutorial below to add a "Run with CPU-# Affinity" context menu to make it easier to run any app with a CPU affinity.

Processor Affinity - Add Set Affinity to Context Menu - Windows 7 Help blog

Hi, two other things that might be of interest:
Process Tamer
Windows 10 blog
appears to still work in Win 10 but not updated for a long time
- focussed on process priority
- can be configured to act on individual processes or any that use more than x% CPU for example

and the (unique?) Battle Encoder Shirase (utterly unique name):
BES, Battle Encoder Shirase 1.6.2 (stable) 1.7.0-alpha: Controls Per-Process CPU Usage
- also works in Win 10. Again, relatively ancient.
- throttles CPU use on captured process

What if you don't know how many cores the program should have, all I know is I want my game set to High priority every time it runs but I don't want to have to go into the task manager every time I start the game to set it.

Hello Raygon,

You could use the method in the tutorial below to create a shortcut of the game that will always run the game with a "high" CPU priority.

CPU Priority Shortcut for a Program - Create in Windows

Cool beans! I will try that, thanks Brink!

You're most welcome.

Hey Brink, I just realized I can't use this because Archeage uses a Launcher, so I have to use the Glyph launcher (in case there are updates to the program) which then launches Archeage.exe which is the program.

Changing process priority or limiting maximum CPU