Location:
State:
Carrier
Country
Status

BSOD Kmode Exception Not Handled, Critical Process Died (ntkrnlmp)


Hey everyone,

I've got a fairly fresh install of Windows 10 Pro that is giving me some trouble, on a Lenovo Thinkpad W540. I've been getting BSOD crashes that I have been so far unable to resolve. Lately they seem to be happening when the machine is idle and I'm not watching it, and have been becoming more frequent since a windows update the other day. I was getting Kmode Exception Not Handled (1E) at first, and after running the driver verifier, it was finding that IntelPCC.sys was misbehaving.

I uninstalled that driver (although not completely -- I found it had reinstalled this morning), and found my machine with a Critical Process Died (EF) BSOD when I got to work this morning. As far as I can tell from the logs, they say it's likely caused by ntkrnlmp.exe.

I began running into BSODs when I installed the Lenovo System Update application, and it would BSOD when I started trying to install updates and drivers. I've run Prime95 overnight a few times since then, and have been getting rounding errors after 8 or 9 hours on 1 or 2 out of 8 threads on stock clocks, although a few runs of 10+ Intel Burn Tests have yielded accurate results on extreme.

At this point, I'm really not sure if I'm dealing with a memory issue, or a driver issue, or some other hardware failure. I have uploaded my logs in the hopes that someone here can provide some insight into what might be happening.

Thanks!
  • LENOVO1-Fri_09_23_2016__82648_71.zip (1.07 MB, 1 views)

Hi sudpuzzer,

Welcome to the 10blog

How old is your thinkpad?

I just came to be using it recently, but it was purchased the end of January, 2014.

At this point, I'm really not sure if I'm dealing with a memory issue, or a driver issue, or some other hardware failure.
It is clear for me that there is a hardware problem
I've run Prime95 overnight a few times since then, and have been getting rounding errorsafter 8 or 9 hours on 1 or 2 out of 8 threads on stock clocks
I don't assume there is any warranty?

We do have warranty remaining. I talked to our local Lenovo reseller where it was purchased, and they told me that all they would do is run the Lenovo diagnostic application on the laptop, which I have done already. The Lenovo CPU diagnostic doesn't indicate any problems, so they wouldn't be able to do anything. They suggested I go directly to Lenovo themselves for a warranty claim. I was hoping to avoid that if it was possible to fix myself.

A CPU replacement isn't something that should be done by yourself when warranty is still available, because it will void the warranty. A manufacturer sometimes doesn't even allow opening a laptop to replace a HDD, add a SSD or replace the memory without voiding warranty.

Agreed. I had another BSOD over noon hour while I was away from the machine, IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL 0xA. I have attached the logs.

So, is it your opinion that these crashes are caused by hardware faults?

I appreciate your time very much.
  • LENOVO1-Mon_09_26_2016_124713_24.zip (311.7 KB, 0 views)

Prime95 is a very good stress test, if it has found errors it is safe to call it a hardware problem.

BSOD Kmode Exception Not Handled, Critical Process Died (ntkrnlmp)