Location:
State:
Carrier
Country
Status

Have I got the right graphics card/monitor driver


Hi

When I go to my device manager and look under Monitors I see Generic PnP Monitor, this laptop is a Hp Compaq Pavillion CQ57. Why do I have this generic monitor loaded for my HP monitor?. I think Ive figured out what I need to do, go to device manager and uninstall the monitor entry. I need some advice, is this the correct way to do things, this is supposed to be a HD monitor and I having trouble displaying some HD movies, its been this way for years.

Nick

If your monitor is working ok now I would just leave it be. Right now the setting labeled "Generic PnP Monitor" is probably the "best fit". BTW I have two HD(1920 x 1080) Samsung monitors and they are both listed as Generic PnP Monitor.

Thanx
When I first got it, I'm sure it had a hp monitor loaded but can't be sure. I've just noticed this generic monitor. I cannot play 1080 HD but 720 seems to be fine.

You could try the generic Digital Flat Panel (WxH) where WxH is the native resolution, but it won't make any difference. In standalone PC monitors using their own driver (if there is one) has the advantage of better color calibration. But nowadays colors can be configured from an ICC profile, or from the graphic card's control panel, so this is not too important. Most monitors are identified as Generic PnP monitor by default, unless you add specific model drivers.

Video playack has nothing to do with the monitor driver since the video card will scale up/down the content being played.You more likely are experiencing issues due to a missing video driver which means you have no hardware acceleration.

Update the graphics driver directly from manufacturer (Intel, NVidia, AMD) to get best performance. Do not use Windows Update which installs generic Microsoft drivers with missing features and non-existent acceleration.

doubt that display can do full HD so youre good with 720. however you can output the full HD via DP/VGA

Thanks for the help

Hi

When I go to my device manager and look under Monitors I see Generic PnP Monitor, this laptop is a Hp Compaq Pavillion CQ57. Why do I have this generic monitor loaded for my HP monitor?. I think Ive figured out what I need to do, go to device manager and uninstall the monitor entry. I need some advice, is this the correct way to do things, this is supposed to be a HD monitor and I having trouble displaying some HD movies, its been this way for years.

Nick
It looks like you have amd in your laptop.

Processor: AMD E-Series E-350
Graphics Adapter: AMD Radeon HD 6310

You should get the latest amd drivers if you haven't. Just be sure to pick the appropriate OS as your download choice.

Where do I get the latest drivers from?

Have I got the right graphics card/monitor driver