Location:
State:
Carrier
Country
Status

Background noise


Hi, gang, here's my new problem. I'm getting what sounds like background music from my speakers even when I'm not online. I tried the troubleshooter on the sound, but it didn't help. any ideas what needs to be done?

Hi Amadeus51,

I'm not very knowledgeable with electronics, but is there a chance that it's some type of bleed over from another source? If you're not online, I'm not sure what else could be playing "background music," unless you have some software that's doing that, such as some type of a media player running that you might not be aware of- which I doubt.

I suppose another thing might be to so a search for all of your sound files and see if anything stands out that way.


b1rd

Hi Amadeus51,

I helped my wife fix a problem like this, and what we discovered was happening was that the speaker wires were acting like an antenna for radio signals! You can buy some
ferrite chokeelements that fit around the speaker wires that will fix this online or at a Radio Shack®.

Hi Amadeus51,

I helped my wife fix a problem like this, and what we discovered was happening was that the speaker wires were acting like an antenna for radio signals! You can buy some
ferrite chokeelements that fit around the speaker wires that will fix this online or at a Radio Shack®.
It does sound somewhat like radio traffic, but I'm not using any other devices. It just started doing it a couple of days ago.

It does sound somewhat like radio traffic, but I'm not using any other devices. It just started doing it a couple of days ago.
Yes, for speakers and their attached wiring to act like a radio receiver does not require that any other devices are nearby or connected. There are plenty of 'free' radio frequency airwaves all around us.

I had an electric space heater play radio station for few days.

Sounds like RF interference. You need to check all of your electrical wires in the house. You can buy RF filters and that might help. A UPS system also helps.

Sorry for the delay getting back. a change in my work schedule and a very bad chest cold made for a tough weekend. The noise seems to have stopped on it's own. Seems to me I had the same problem from time to time with my old computer too. Thanks for the advice. I'll shut this thread down.

Background noise