Location:
State:
Carrier
Country
Status

Folders and Files Disappeared


I have a couple of folders containing files I have not looked at in over a year.
When I went to look at them, I cannot find them ??

Does Windows 10 automatically archive older unused files or folders ??

Thanks,

rs

No, it doesn't. Do you know the names of the folders? If so you could try installing Everything Search and see if it finds them.
Install it, let it start and build it's index, takes a few seconds to maybe half a minute. Then type the folder name in the search box and it will show you every file and folder that has that name in it.

On which drive did you save the files? Have you clean installed Windows 10? Files/folders are sometimes deleted by accident. Since it has been so long, the data might have been overwritten.

First; It was an update from Windows 7.
Second; I had a similar instance with a very large folder (~1,400 files), that re-appeared when I restored a back-up from another
computer (hence my thoughts of an automatic archive).
Third; The files were saved on my "C" Drive, but other programs were not affected.
Fourth; I see my original post was moved from the site I first published it on. No wonder I couldn't find it until I got a response
and saw where it went. Another MS feature ??

rs

I went to install EverythingSearch, but it said something about Port Access ??? Being very paranoid about anything to do with access to my computer, I stopped the install. Why does it want access ??

rs


No, it doesn't. Do you know the names of the folders? If so you could try installing Everything Search and see if it finds them.
Install it, let it start and build it's index, takes a few seconds to maybe half a minute. Then type the folder name in the search box and it will show you every file and folder that has that name in it.

I think they are needed if you want to start the FTP or HTTP servers. I don't use them, I use just the search capability.

Try it, I think you will like it. I consider it one program I will not go without, from XP all the way to Win 10 TH2. I use it a lot.

I found something while searching. The Program Files are still there, but the Data Files that were in the Documents Folder are gone. As if the Document Folder was wiped clean as a result of the Windows 10 Upgrade from Windows 7.

The Documents Folder is totally empty.

rs

Do you still have windows.old folder on C: ?

NO, only a Windows Folder. Nothing in it looks like it would hold "Old" files.

rs

It may not be worth trying at this point, but try downloading Recuva, installing it, crossing your fingers, and scanning for your missing files. It's actually advised that you download the portable version onto an external storage device and running that.


Folders and Files Disappeared