Location:
State:
Carrier
Country
Status

Done


What would happen if my computer shuts down while BitLocker is encrypting my data partition drive?
It takes ages!
I am running Windows 10 Pro

Thank you very much in advance

What would happen if my computer shuts down while BitLocker is encrypting my data partition drive?
It takes ages!
I am running Windows 10 Pro

Thank you very much in advance
Most any activity that is reading and writing data to the HDD can cause problems if not shut down before shutting the computer down. Most folks with similar activity to what you are doing will start it at a time they'll be away from the computer and just let it run. Shutting the computer down stops HDD activity and by extension any program using it. Suddenly stopping the computer in the middle of a process can cause data corruption and therefore loss.

What @Berton said is not correct.

If you want to shut down your PC go ahead. The encryption process will continue next boot.

What happens if the computer is turned off during encryption or decryption?


If the computer is turned off or goes into hibernation, the BitLocker encryption and decryption process will resume where it stopped the next time Windows starts. This is true even if the power is suddenly unavailable.
source

Hi,

What @Berton said is not correct.
Guess he just didn't express himself very well.

Short of a power outage , the computer will resume the encryption process. If it weren't the entire disk would be toast after a controlled shutdown.

Cheers,

Short of a power outage ,.....
Did you read the quote from MS above? "..even if the power is suddenly unavailable.."

Hi,

Did you read the quote from MS above? "..even if the power is suddenly unavailable.."
No, I did not truth be told. Good to see it's pretty foolproof then.

Cheers,

Good to see it's pretty foolproof then.
Has been for me. I've shut down during encryption and it has been OK.

Can't say I've pulled the plug as I've always had laptops and you can't do that easily....

Thank you very much for your answers.
I decided to wait until Bitlocker finished.

Done